Nicor Employees Demonstrate Commitment to Volunteerism, Assisting Non-Profit Groups as Part of the 11th Annual Volunteer Day.
Hundreds of Nicor employees, families will give back to Illinois communities
NAPERVILLE, Ill. -- Nicor employees and their families will fulfill the company's commitment to volunteerism as part of the 11th Annual Volunteer Day on May 19th. Assisted by community members, hundreds of employees will serve 19 communities by completing 26 projects, ranging from sorting food at local pantries to cleaning yards and providing energy efficient kits to senior citizens' homes.
"Nicor's Volunteer Day embodies the spirit of giving back to the communities we serve," said Russ Strobel, Chairman, President and CEO (1) (Chief Executive Officer) The highest individual in command of an organization. Typically the president of the company, the CEO reports to the Chairman of the Board. for Nicor Inc. and Nicor Gas. "Now in our 11th year, Nicor's Volunteer Corps is again assisting on a number of Volunteer Day projects throughout northern Illinois For the university, see Northern Illinois University
Northern Illinois is a region generally covering the northern third of the U.S. state of Illinois. Economics . Volunteerism is an integral part of Nicor's corporate culture; our employees are connected to their communities and committed to doing their part in making our world a better place for everyone."
This year, Nicor will highlight energy efficiency through a special Volunteer Day project to benefit United Cerebral Palsy United Cerebral Palsy (UCP), sometimes known as United Cerebral Palsy Associations, is a network of affiliated groups in the United States which works to "advance the independence, productivity and full citizenship of people with disabilities" (from UCP's mission statement), of Will County. In addition to landscaping and beautifying the organization's headquarters and two group homes in Joliet, Nicor Services employees will conduct appliance safety inspections. A $6,000 grant will be donated by Nicor to United Cerebral Palsy of Will County on Volunteer Day to fund energy "make-overs" allowing these buildings to become more energy efficient and cost-effective.
Samuel Mancuso, President and CEO of United Cerebral Palsy of Will County, said, "This grant will help United Cerebral Palsy continue to provide support and direct services to individuals and families impacted by the challenges of developmental disabilities developmental disabilities (DD),
n.pl the pathologic conditions that have their origin in the embryology and growth and development of an individual. DDs usually appear clinically before 18 years of age. . Our organization focuses not only on direct services but education; we are thrilled to have Nicor come out and teach us more about energy efficiency."
In addition to the energy efficiency projects at the United Cerebral Palsy buildings, Nicor will be distributing efficiency kits to 35 senior homes in Wilmington and 6 senior group homes in Bloomington. The kits include items like water heater insulation covers, water faucet aerators, long-lasting light bulbs, and information about how to maintain an energy efficient home.
Volunteer Day at Nicor is an annual celebration of the company's year-round commitment to communities. The company contributed more than $1.7 million to philanthropic efforts throughout Northern Illinois in 2006, and Nicor employees contributed financially, but also donated their time to numerous worthy causes throughout the year.
Pay-It-Forward House in Sycamore sycamore: see plane tree.
Any of several distinct trees called by the same name though in different genera and families. In the U.S. the term refers to the American plane tree or buttonwood (Platanus occidentalis), a hardy street tree. , for example, relies heavily on volunteer support to run its day-to-day operations. The non-profit hospital A non-profit hospital, or not-for-profit hospital, is a hospital which is organized as a non-profit corporation. Based on their charitable purpose and most often affiliated with a religious denomination they are a traditional means of delivering medical care in the United States. hospitality house opened in March 2004 and provides serene, homelike lodging for family and friends of patients at Kindred KINDRED. Relations by blood.
2. Nature has divided the kindred of every one into three principal classes. 1. His children, and their descendants. 2. His father, mother, and other ascendants. 3. Hospital.
Executive Director Mary Lou Eubanks said, "Volunteer time and support is critical to running our House. Nicor's Volunteer Day is an incredible gift to our facility and it speaks volumes about the dedication and generosity Nicor and its employees have for the community," said Eubanks.
Nicor's 11th Annual Volunteer Day will span 26 sites in 19 different communities across Illinois (starting early, on May 5th, was Carthage with a revamp re·vamp
tr.v. re·vamped, re·vamp·ing, re·vamps
1. To patch up or restore; renovate.
2. To revise or reconstruct (a manuscript, for example).
3. To vamp (a shoe) anew.
n. of The World of Wonder Park).
* Nicor Volunteers will sort food at local pantries in Aurora, Capron, DeKalb, Rockford, and Woodridge.
* Outdoor cleanup will take place at senior citizen homes in Bloomington and Phoenix, two community service sites in Woodstock, one of the Aurora Centennial House/Housing Authority buildings, as well as the Pay It Forward House in Sycamore.
* Volunteers will beautify the landscape by removing buckthorn buckthorn, common name for some members of the Rhamnaceae, a family of woody shrubs, small trees, and climbing vines widely distributed throughout the world. and honeysuckle honeysuckle, common name for some members of the Caprifoliaceae, a family comprised mostly of vines and shrubs of the Northern Hemisphere, especially abundant in E Asia and E North America. at the Brookfield Zoo The Brookfield Zoo is a zoo located in the Chicago suburb of Brookfield, Illinois. The zoo covers an area of 216 acres (874,124 m²) and houses around 450 species of animals. .
* Local waterways The list of waterways is a link page for any river, canal, estuary or firth.
* As energy efficiency has never been more important: efficiency kits will be given to senior citizen homes in Bloomington and Wilmington as well as two United Cerebral Palsy of Will County group homes in Joliet. Volunteers will also do some landscaping and painting at the United Cerebral Palsy Headquarters.
* The Northwest Suburban United Way in Mount Prospect will receive a new coat of interior paint.
* Gardening and landscaping will bring a new light to several sites in Naperville at the DuPage Children's Museum Children's museums are institutions that provide exhibits and programs that stimulate informal learning experiences for children. In contrast with traditional museums that typically have a hands-off policy regarding exhibits, children's museums feature interactive exhibits that are and the Conservation Foundation's McDonald Farm.
* In Bellwood, volunteers will beautify the interior and exterior of two sites run by Aspire, an immediate care facility for individuals with disabilities.
* Nicor Volunteers will perform outdoor repair work and park cleanup at Coal City's Lions Hall.
Nicor Inc. (NYSE NYSE
See: New York Stock Exchange : GAS) is a holding company and is a member of the Standard & Poor's 500 Index. Its primary business is Nicor Gas, one of the nation's largest natural gas distribution companies. Nicor owns Tropical Shipping, a containerized con·tain·er·ize
v.tr. con·tain·er·ized, con·tain·er·iz·ing, con·tain·er·iz·es
1. To package (cargo) in large standardized containers for efficient shipping and handling.
2. shipping business serving the Caribbean region and the Bahamas. In addition, the company owns and has an equity interest in several energy-related businesses. For more information, visit the Nicor Web site at www.nicor.com.
Nicor Gas is one of the nation's largest gas distribution companies. Owned by Nicor Inc. (NYSE: GAS) a holding company, Nicor Gas has provided safe and reliable natural gas services for more than 50 years. The Company serves more than 2.1 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit the Nicor Web site at www.nicorgas.com.