Printer Friendly

NISSAN ANNOUNCES PLAN TO INCREASE IMPORTS TO JAPAN, EXPAND OVERSEAS PARTNERSHIPS

 NISSAN ANNOUNCES PLAN TO INCREASE IMPORTS TO JAPAN,
 EXPAND OVERSEAS PARTNERSHIPS
 DETROIT, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Nissan today announced the expansion of a program to increase imports into Japan; establish global R&D, production and sales systems; and increase partnerships with overseas firms.
 The project, called the New International Cooperation Program for 1994, is an expansion of Nissan's International Cooperation Program started in 1989 to help the company globalize.
 Specifically, the new program will increase Nissan's imports to $1.2 billion in 1994. This is an increase of 330 percent from 1988, the original program's base year. About 80 percent of the 1994 total comes from the import of parts and materials. The other 20 percent will consist of vehicles, machinery and equipment.
 Nissan will achieve this aggressive goal by intensifying its search for the best suppliers available worldwide -- those providing the highest quality, regardless of their location. The company already has begun this, recently announcing purchase agreements with U.S.-based Kelsey-Hayes and Ingersoll. In addition, the company will meet with 50 U.S. suppliers in February 1992.
 The new program also addresses creating research and development, sales and production systems in the countries in which Nissan vehicles are sold. To achieve this, Nissan will expand local procurement of parts and materials in the United States to $2.8 billion in 1994 -- 300 percent more than in 1990.
 As Nissan has increased its production overseas, its exports of vehicles made in Japan has fallen dramatically. Exports in 1991 are expected to be lower still and Nissan intends to maintain this trend. The new program sets Nissan's export goal at a 1:2 ratio of vehicles exported from Japan to vehicles produced overseas by the end of the 1990s.
 The final part of the New International Cooperation Program commits Nissan to increasing its partnerships with overseas firms.
 The company already has made progress in this area. In 1992, Nissan and Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) will begin selling a compact family van designed by Nissan and built by Ford. In April 1992, Nissan will buy cylinder blocks from General Motors Corporation (NYSE: GM).
 In Europe, Nissan is working with Ford of Europe to develop a new four-wheel-drive multipurpose vehicle. In Asia, Nissan is expanding its mutual parts complementation system.
 "The enhancement of the International Cooperation Program will allow Nissan to achieve its objectives of increasing imports and expanding local procurement for overseas production operations," said Atsushi Muramatsu, executive vice president of Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
 Nissan is the world's fourth-largest automotive manufacturer. In North America, Nissan's operations include styling, engineering, manufacturing, sales and marketing, research and development, consumer and corporate finance, and industrial equipment and textile manufacturing. Nissan employs more than 8,700 people in the United States and Canada.
 -0- 12/19/91
 /CONTACT: Takayoshi Yamada, Jim Gill or Mary Kay Mencotti of Nissan, 313-393-1893/
 (F GM) CO: Nissan North America, Inc. ST: Michigan IN: AUT SU:


JG -- DE005 -- 3779 12/19/91 10:17 EST
COPYRIGHT 1991 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1991 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Dec 19, 1991
Words:496
Previous Article:ROLLINS ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES ISSUES ANNOUNCEMENT
Next Article:AIR METHODS ANNOUNCES FURTHER WARRANT ADJUSTMENT; MANAGEMENT TO CONSIDER FURTHER MODIFICATIONS IN LINE WITH AUGUST, 1992 WARRANT EXPIRATION
Topics:


Related Articles
NISSAN TO INCREASE PURCHASES OF U.S. PARTS TO $3.3 BILLION
NISSAN TO PURCHASE ALLIED-SIGNAL SPARK PLUGS
NISSAN TAKES DELIVERY OF GM ENGINE BLOCKS
AMERICA'S CAR COMPANIES CALL ON JAPAN TO LIVE UP TO FRAMEWORK COMMITMENTS
Car travel ( it's all plain sailing.
3 of 5 top carmakers post record 1st-half overseas output.
Japanese automakers' exports up as domestic sales slump in January.
January imported vehicle sales gain 5.6% on year in Japan.
LEAD: Japan's April-Sept. imported car sales fall 18.7%, hit 15-year low.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters