NEC Display Solutions Launches 26- and 30-Inch Desktop Displays and New SpectraView Kit.Color Calibration The matching of colors to a base color, such as a Pantone color, or from one device to another. Color calibration is widely used in print publishing in order to display on screen an accurate representation of the colors that will be printed on paper. Solution for Professional LCD Provides Unparalleled Display Performance in Color-Critical Applications
CHICAGO -- NEC (NEC Corporation, Tokyo, www.nec.com, www.necus.com) An electronics conglomerate known in the U.S. for its monitors. In Japan, it had the lion's share of the PC market until the late 1990s (see PC 98).
NEC was founded in Tokyo in 1899 as Nippon Electric Company, Ltd. Display Solutions of America, a leading stand-alone provider of commercial LCD displays and projectors, today announced the 26-inch MultiSync[R] LCD2690W2-BK-SV and 30-inch LCD3090W-BK-SV widescreen displays with SpectraViewII[TM] color calibration sensor and software, as well as the new SpectraViewII Kit (SVII-PRO-KIT), which enhances select models of NEC displays.
The new MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV and LCD3090W-BK-SV displays can be seen at the 2009 Macworld Conference and Expo (NEC Display Booth No. 2510) today through January 9 at The Moscone Center The Moscone Center is San Francisco, California's largest convention and exhibition complex. The complex consists of two main underground halls underneath Yerba Buena Gardens, Moscone North and Moscone South, as well the three-level Moscone West exhibition hall across 4th Street. in San Francisco San Francisco (săn frănsĭs`kō), city (1990 pop. 723,959), coextensive with San Francisco co., W Calif., on the tip of a peninsula between the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay, which are connected by the strait known as the Golden , Calif.
The SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution combines the two award-winning displays with a color measurement sensor and sophisticated software. The result is a highly accurate, reliable, repeatable and feature-rich display calibration and profiling solution. The SpectraViewII system, available for Mac OS and Windows, uses a custom-calibrated, co-branded colorimeter A device that measures the red, green and blue values of color. See colorimetry and color calibration. Contrast with densitometer. based on the iOne Display 2 from X-Rite, to take color measurements of the display screen during calibration.
The software analyzes these measurements and sends color adjustment commands directly to the display monitor, allowing the full color resolution See chroma subsampling and YUV. and fidelity of the system to be maintained. The new sensor is custom manufactured and matched for wide color gamut The entire range of colors available on a particular device such as a monitor or printer. A monitor, which displays RGB signals, typically has a greater color gamut than a printer, which uses CMYK inks. displays, like the recently introduced MultiSync LCD2690WUXiU and LCD3090WQXi, in order to provide the most precise measurements possible with a colorimeter device. The sensor is also compatible with standard gamut LCD displays.
"The new MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV, LCD3090W-BK-SV and SVII-PRO-KIT deliver the most advanced technologies for enhanced desktop color performance," said Will Hollingworth, Senior Manager of Software Development for NEC Display Solutions. "When combined with the SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution, select NEC LCD displays revolutionize the way flat-panel monitors can be used. With its multitude of award-winning and leading-edge capabilities, the two new displays and accompanying SpectraViewII Kit deliver advanced functionality that could easily be considered the most intelligent visual display solutions to date."
The MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV, LCD3090W-BK-SV and SVII-PRO-KIT are designed for users in the graphic design, digital animation, photography, print production, image analysis and CAD/CAM CAD/CAM
in full computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing.
Integration of design and manufacturing into a system under direct control of digital computers. industries, as well as soft-copy clinical viewing in the medical field. The benefits of using SpectraViewII with an NEC LCD display include:
* Three internal 12-bit look-up tables (LUTs), which allow precise adjustments to be made to the display's tone response curve with minimal reduction to the number of displayable colors
* Fully automated calibration, which makes adjustments directly in the display hardware, allowing optimal settings to be configured without any user interaction
* Multiple calibration sets, which enable quick and easy switching between different calibration settings without the need to re-calibrate the display
* Calibrated cal·i·brate
tr.v. cal·i·brat·ed, cal·i·brat·ing, cal·i·brates
1. To check, adjust, or determine by comparison with a standard (the graduations of a quantitative measuring instrument): display information, which shows the results of the calibration, including the measured color gamut, grayscale In computing, a grayscale or greyscale digital image is an image in which the value of each pixel is a single sample. Displayed images of this sort are typically composed of shades of gray, varying from black at the weakest intensity to white at the strongest, though in color tracking, Delta-E and luminance The amount of brightness, measured in lumens, that is given off by a pixel or area on a screen. For example, dark red and bright red would have the same chrominance, but a different luminance. values
* Calibration status validation, whereby SpectraViewII queries the system to see if any controls have changed since the last calibration and restores to the previous calibrated state
* Monitor locking, which allows the On Screen Display (OSD (1) (On-Screen Display) An on-screen control panel for adjusting monitors and TVs. The OSD is used for contrast, brightness, horizontal and vertical positioning and other monitor adjustments. [R]) controls to lock the monitor once calibrated to prevent accidental or unauthorized adjustments
* Monitor profiling, which allows the monitor to be automatically profiled after calibration, generating a highly accurate ICC/ColorSync color profiles
* Colorimeter function, which allows direct measurements to be taken by the color sensor and the results displayed in a variety of formats
The MultiSync LCD2690W2-BK-SV and LCD3090W-BK-SV displays are wide-gamut, widescreen LCDs featuring ColorComp[TM] technology, which reduces LCD uniformity errors by compensating for differences in color/grayscale and luminance across the screen area.
Their advanced backlight back·light
A type of spotlight, used in photography, that illuminates a subject from behind.
tr.v. back·light·ed or back·lit , back·light·ing, back·lights technology enables the displays to produce 98 percent coverage and 107 percent the gamut size of the AdobeRGB color space A system for describing color numerically. Also known as a "color model," the most widely used color spaces are RGB for scanners and displays, CMYK for color printing and YUV for video and TV. for unsurpassed color reproduction. The 26- and 30-inch displays incorporate in-plane switching (IPS) module technology, which is widely accepted by industry professionals as being the highest-performing LCD technology available on the market, delivering unparalleled color reproduction and brightness uniformity by minimizing off-angle color shift, and clearer black tones in dark-colored images.
The latest version of the SpectraViewII software brings several new features and enhancements, including improved color accuracy and support for the X-Rite ColorMunki spectrophotometer spectrophotometer, instrument for measuring and comparing the intensities of common spectral lines in the spectra of two different sources of light. See photometry; spectroscope; spectrum. on Mac OS and Windows. Developed for large-volume users, a Linux version of SpectraViewII will also be available in February 2009, providing a truly cross-platform color calibration solution.
The SVII-PRO-KIT is available as an accessory for select NEC LCD displays and includes the new color measurement sensor and SpectraViewII calibration software. Existing customers with a supported color sensor device can purchase the SpectraViewII software separately (SVII-SOFT) at an estimated street price of $104.99.
The LCD2690W2-BK-SV and LCD3090W-BK-SV, which are backed by a 4-year parts and labor warranty, are available for January 2009 shipment with estimated street prices of $1,449 and $2,449, respectively. The SVII-PRO-KIT is available with an estimated street price of $329. The new version of SpectraViewII software will be available for free download for existing SpectraViewII customers.
About NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.
Headquartered in Itasca, Ill., NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc., is a leading designer and provider of innovative desktop LCD displays, professional-grade large-screen LCD displays, a diverse line of projectors, and integrated display solutions. NEC Display Solutions develops leading-edge visual technology and customer-focused solutions for a wide variety of markets, including enterprise, professional, education, medical and digital signage Digital signage is a form of out-of-home advertising in which content and messages displayed on an electronic screen, or digital sign, can be changed without modification to the physical sign, typically with the goal of delivering targeted messages to specific locations at . For additional information about NEC Display Solutions of America, consumers can call (866) NEC-MORE, or visit the Web site at www.necdisplay.com.
For digital images, please visit http://www.necdisplay.com/products/digitalmedialibrary/.