According to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. "Disaster Goes Global" (SN: 8/30/08, p. 16), sulfur dioxide reacts with water vapor in the air to produce sulfuric acid sulfuric acid, chemical compound, H2SO4, colorless, odorless, extremely corrosive, oily liquid. It is sometimes called oil of vitriol. Concentrated Sulfuric Acid
. Is this possible? When sulfur dioxide dissolves in water, it produces sulfurous acid sulfurous acid /sul·fur·ous ac·id/ (sul´fur-us)
1. a solution of sulfur dioxide in water, H2SO3; used as a reagent.
2. sulfur dioxide. , not sulfuric. Industrial production of sulfuric acid requires that sulfur dioxide be further oxidized oxidized
having been modified by the process of oxidation.
see absorbable cellulose. to give sulfur trioxide, which produces sulfuric acid when dissolved in water.
John Myers, San Diego, Calif.
The sulfuric acid in volcanic aerosols is the result of not one reaction but a series of reactions involving sulfur dioxide (from the volcano), oxygen (from the atmosphere) and water (from both sources). One of those pathways, as you mention, first creates sulfurous acid that then reacts with oxygen to make sulfuric acid In the other set of reactions, sulfur dioxide reacts with oxygen to make sulfur trioxide, which then reacts with water to create sulfuric acid.--Sid Perkins