More needed to curb global warming says Dutch agencyRich countries must raise their emissions reduction targets by 10 percent for global warming global warming, the gradual increase of the temperature of the earth's lower atmosphere as a result of the increase in greenhouse gases since the Industrial Revolution. to be arrested at two degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, a Dutch environmental agency said on Wednesday.
"The current proposals for Copenhagen by the developed countries ... to reduce emissions do not yet suffice suf·fice
v. suf·ficed, suf·fic·ing, suf·fic·es
1. To meet present needs or requirements; be sufficient: These rations will suffice until next week. to limit global warming to a rise of 2 degrees Celsius," the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency The Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (Dutch: Milieu en Natuur Planbureau) is a Dutch research institute that advises the Dutch government on environmental policy issues. said in a statement.
"Even if pledges are interpreted in the most optimistic op·ti·mist
1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome.
2. A believer in philosophical optimism.
op way, the proposals collectively fall short of the 25 percent to 40 percent reduction target."
Proposals by the EU, US and Japan fall five to 15 percent short of meeting the goal, those by Canada 25 percent and by Russia and the Ukraine 35 percent, said the agency, an environmental policy adviser.
A new global climate treaty is to be hammered ham·mered
1. Shaped or worked with a metalworker's hammer and often showing the marks of these tools: a bowl of hammered brass.
2. Slang Drunk or intoxicated.
Adj. out at a December conference in Copenhagen.