Mexican Lacquer Art.In this project, fifth-grade students learned how Oriental and Mexican artists Famous Mexican artists (in alphabetical order):
With nature as the theme, students glued layers of newspaper over paper plates. By using white glue instead of wheat paste, there was no mixing and the circular plate forms dried quickly. This project required a different approach because students are usually drawing on a rectangular piece of paper. They had to consider the curve of the circle in the pictorial designing of the plate.
1. Cut four circles from newspaper that are the same size as the paper plate. (I used the most inexpensive plates that could be purchased.)
2. Cut circles in half, apply white liquid glue a fluid preparation of glue and acetic acid or alcohol.
See also: Glue to the entire surface of the newspaper semicircles, and place them on top of the plate. If a heavier plate is desired, add more circles of newspaper.
3. Glue a white paper plate on top so that there will not be a problem of the black print of the newspaper showing when painted. Paint the plate using tempera tempera (tĕm`pərə), painting method in which finely ground pigment is mixed with a solidifying base such as albumen, fig sap, or thin glue. paint.
4. Draw a dominating design on drawing or construction paper using the theme of nature. A pattern may be designed for the outside edge of the plate. Color designs using markers. Cut out the designs and glue to the plate. Be sure that the dominating design is glued to the center area.
5. Glue a yarn loop on the back of the plate so that it can be hung.
It was a challenge to cut the narrow areas in some of the designs. Students' skills improved as they cut and glued paper and painted, designed, and colored details. Many students creatively curved part of the design to fit the plate, while some designed a pattern around the edges to accent the curve. The fifth graders learned new vocabulary as they gained historical knowledge and appreciation of the Oriental and Mexican artists and their lacquer art.
paper plates, markers, tempera paint, drawing or construction paper, white liquid glue, newspaper, scissors scissors
Cutting instrument or tool consisting of a pair of opposed metal blades that meet and cut when the handles at their ends are brought together. Modern scissors are of two types: the more usual pivoted blades have a rivet or screw connection between the cutting ends
Students know that the visual arts visual arts npl → artes fpl plásticas
visual arts npl → arts mpl plastiques
visual arts npl → have both a history and specific relationship to various cultures.
Berniece Patterson is an art teacher at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School elementary school: see school. in Denton, Texas Denton is a city in the United States and the county seat of Denton County, Texas. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, the city population was 80,537, making it the eleventh largest city in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. .