Master of Gaul.
Master of Gaul
Authors On Line Ltd
19 The Cinques, Gamlingay, Sandy, Bedfordshire Coordinates:
Sandy is a small market town in northern Bedfordshire, England. It is located between Cambridge and Bedford, and on the A1 road from London to Edinburgh. The area is dominated by a range of hills known as the Sand Hills. SG193NU, England
0755201441 $14.95 www.authorsonline.co.uk
Quoting from the back cover: "This is the second in a series of five books that set out to tell the action-packed story of Julius Caesar's protracted pro·tract
tr.v. pro·tract·ed, pro·tract·ing, pro·tracts
1. To draw out or lengthen in time; prolong: disputants who needlessly protracted the negotiations.
2. battles in Gaul--modern France and Belgium--and his struggle to force the Roman Republic to abandon its obsession with ancient and superstitious su·per·sti·tious
1. Inclined to believe in superstition.
2. Of, characterized by, or proceeding from superstition.
su traditions, a system of government that favoured only its racist, corrupt and all-powerful nobility. Caesar, a man way ahead of his time, was determined to change the Republic into a multi-cultural meritocracy mer·i·toc·ra·cy
n. pl. mer·i·toc·ra·cies
1. A system in which advancement is based on individual ability or achievement.
a. , fit to govern its growing empire for the good of all its disparate peoples. Caesar's Tribune is a fictional character who is also way ahead of his time but in a very different way ..."
In May of last year I reviewed the first book in this series, Caesar's Tribune--please refer to my May 2006 reviews. This series is wonderful, entertaining and educational. If you like learning about history and historical figures in novelized form, you'll enjoy how the author has taken Caesar's Commentaries and turned them into richly textured, contemporary, intriguing in·trigue
a. A secret or underhand scheme; a plot.
b. The practice of or involvement in such schemes.
2. A clandestine love affair.
v. military novels.
John Timbers is a consummate writer, and you won't be disappointed in his style or the quality of his writing. The book is well edited and I highly recommend it, particularly to history buffs The name Buffs can mean: