MUM DIES AFTER STUBBING BIG TOE.
Byline: By MARK SMITH
A MOTHER of three died of blood poisoning blood poisoning: see septicemia. after stubbing her big toe big toe
The largest and innermost toe of the human foot. - and was buried on the day her son was due to be married.
Doctors had decided Elizabeth Cochrane, 51, was too weak to have her foot amputated to remove the infection.
They believe bacteria in her body from an operation last year were freed into her bloodstream when she hurt her toe.
Elizabeth, from Kennoway, Fife, died just days later of organ failure.
Yesterday husband Joseph, 54, told how his wife of 31 years complained of a sore foot for several days. He said: "One morning she woke up in absolute agony. A doctor came out and immediately called an ambulance."
Elizabeth was taken to Ninewells Hospital The Ninewells Hospital is a hospital situated on the western edge of Dundee, Scotland at .
The proposal for the hospital was put forward in May 1960 and final permission was accepted by Parliament in February 1962. , Dundee. Joseph added: "A few hours later she was just skin and bone."
She died on April 7 and was buried on April 13, the day eldest son Barry, 29, was due to marry at Gretna Green.