MTA REDUCING TWO VALLEY BUS LINES BOARD VOTE CALLS FOR LATE-NIGHT SERVICE CUTS, KEEPING MOST OTHER RUNS INTACT.Byline: Lisa Mascaro Staff Writer
VAN NUYS - Staving stave
1. A narrow strip of wood forming part of the sides of a barrel, tub, or similar structure.
2. A rung of a ladder or chair.
3. A staff or cudgel.
4. Music See staff1. off more drastic cuts, the MTA's San Fernando Valley San Fernando Valley
Valley, southern California, U.S. Northwest of central Los Angeles, the valley is bounded by the San Gabriel, Santa Susana, and Santa Monica mountains and the Simi Hills. Service Sector Council on Wednesday approved changes to two Valley bus lines that reduce primarily late night service, but keep most other runs intact.
Earlier protests from dozens of bus riders led the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Valley council to support less severe cuts that members called a compromise.
``I'd rather lose a few fringe trips than entire blocks in the day,'' said council member Kymberleigh Richards. ``At least we're not going to affect as many people as we would have.''
The council voted 6-1 for the changes, which take effect as soon as Oct. 26.
Council member Stacey Murphy, who is also the mayor of Burbank, said the council needs to cut costs.
``As hard as they are, unfortunately we do have to make these decisions,'' Murphy said. ``I understand there's someone on each of these lines being affected.''
The changes cover two main lines in the Valley:
--Line 96, a main line along Riverside Drive A number of cities around the world have a Riverside Drive.
In the United States:
The Zoo, located in Los Angeles' Griffith Park, is home to 1,200 animals from around the world. and downtown, will see its late night and Sunday service reduced.
--Line 167, between Chatsworth and Sherman Oaks, will see its nighttime service reduced, but will retain weekend service that had been slated to be cut.
The MTA (1) (Message Transfer Agent or Mail Transfer Agent) The store and forward part of a messaging system. See messaging system.
(2) See M Technology Association.
1. (messaging) MTA - Message Transfer Agent. board approved changes last week on Line 218, which runs along Laurel Canyon Boulevard Laurel Canyon Boulevard is a major street in the city of Los Angeles, California. It starts off at Polk Street in Sylmar in the northern San Fernando Valley near the junction of the San Diego (Interstate 405) and the Golden State Freeways (Interstate 5). to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is a world-renowned hospital located in Los Angeles, California. History
Cedars-Sinai is the result of a merger in 1961 between two major Los Angeles hospitals, Cedars of Lebanon and Mount Sinai Home for the Incurables, with Steve Broidy as , that saves weekend service from cuts, though buses won't come as frequently as now.
The changes are part of systemwide cutbacks on the MTA's contract lines that had initially been aimed at saving the agency $3 million as it seeks to trim operational costs this fiscal year.
Dozens of riders at previous meetings have spoken out against originally proposed cuts, saying they affect key bus lines providing service in the San Fernando Valley for people who need to go to work.
Lisa Mascaro, (818) 713-3761