MPs are not above the law; Your Say.
The police are not in any way, as he states, the servants of Parliament.
Section 29 of the Police Act 1996 compels every new member of a police force to attest To solemnly declare verbally or in writing that a particular document or testimony about an event is a true and accurate representation of the facts; to bear witness to. To formally certify by a signature that the signer has been present at the execution of a particular writing so as by making the following declaration: "I do solemnly sol·emn
1. Deeply earnest, serious, and sober.
2. Somberly or gravely impressive. See Synonyms at serious.
3. Performed with full ceremony: a solemn High Mass.
4. and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will, to the best of my skill and knowledge, discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. law." Ther duty of a police officer is to serve Her Majesty the Queen and to have no political favour of any kind. This includes investigating suspected offences, and when necessary bringing before Her Majesty's courts of law any person suspected of breaking the law.
This includes MPs and, should evidence of a suspected offence be apparent, so be it. They are most definitely not above the law, Mr Ward.
D SADLER, Retired police officer
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)|
|Date:||Jun 13, 2009|
|Previous Article:||TV age concern; Your Say.|
|Next Article:||Your Views; WE asked who you would like to see recognised in the Queen's Birthday Honours list?|