MONTEREY COUNTY VINTNERS REPORTING HEALTHY HARVEST.
Byline: Betsy Lordan Scripps-McClatchy Western Service
While Mother Nature has not been kind to California grape growers as a whole during this year's harvest, many in Monterey County, particularly those in the north, seem to have escaped her ravages rav·age
v. rav·aged, rav·ag·ing, rav·ages
1. To bring heavy destruction on; devastate: A tornado ravaged the town.
The Wine Institute laid the blame for the California wine grape crop's low yields on the weather - a winter that was too mild; a spring marred by too much rain around the time the flowers bloomed on the grape plants, and a summer that was too hot.
Consequently, when this year's harvest began at the end of the summer, many California grape growers reported low yields.
By contrast, in Monterey County, many growers escaped the bad weather. The winter was mild, but it caused the plants to bloom bloom
1. the general appearance of the surface. In carcass meat it is the glistening, transparent effect and the gentle pink color that gives a good bloom to the carcass. It is the result of proper tissue hydration coupled with the correct proportions of fat, connective tissue and early, and the weather around bloom time was good. The bad weather that came toward the end of the normal growing season growing season, period during which plant growth takes place. In temperate climates the growing season is limited by seasonal changes in temperature and is defined as the period between the last killing frost of spring and the first killing frost of autumn, at which caused little harm, because much of the fruit already had been harvested.
``Here in Gonzales, I'd say we're hitting what we estimated in terms of tonnage TONNAGE, mar. law. The capacity of a ship or vessel.
2. The act of congress of March 2, 1799, s. 64, 1 Story's L. U. S. 630, directs that to ascertain the tonnage of any ship or vessel, the surveyor, &c. ,'' said Kelly McFarland, president of General Vineyard vineyard, land on which cultivation of the grape—known as viticulture—takes place. As many as 40 varieties of grape, Vitis vinifera, are known. Services. Estimates are compiled by counting the grape clusters after the bloom, he added.
Final figures will not be available until the Monterey County Agricultural Commissioner's crop report is released in April 1997. But if prices stay firm, the county is likely to do better in terms of dollar value than it did last year.
In the North Coast area - Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino counties - tonnage per acre was down by anywhere from 15 percent to 35 percent, depending on the variety, according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. the San Francisco-based Wine Institute.