Local victories.Gays and lesbians across the country had newly ascendant out elected officials to celebrate in January:
* CHRISTINE QUINN, a lesbian New York City council The New York City Council is the lawmaking body of the City of New York. It comprises 51 members from 51 council districts throughout the five boroughs. The Council serves as balance of power against the mayor in a "strong" mayor-council government model. member, was elected by her peers to the post of council speaker, widely regarded as the second-most powerful city post after the mayor.
* GINA GINA - Generic Interactive Application. An application framework based on Common Lisp and OSF/Motif, designed to simplify the construction of graphical interactive applications. GENOVESE, a lesbian Democratic township committee member, was elected mayor of the Long Hill Township in New Jersey by a 5-0 committee vote.
* JON COOPER Jon Cooper (born October 1, 1986) is a offensive lineman for the Oklahoma Sooners. , a gay New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of legislator, was elected majority leader of the Suffolk County legislature on Long Island.
* KEN REEVES, a gay city councilman, was elected by the council to serve his third term as mayor of Cambridge, Mass.
* JIM ROTH, one of the first openly gay elected officials in Oklahoma, was reelected by the Oklahoma County commission as county chair.
* PAULA ABOUD, a lesbian Democratic activist in Arizona, was elected by the Pima County board of supervisors The examples and perspective in this article or section may represent an unduly geographically limited view of the subject.
Please [ improve this article] or discuss the issue on the talk page.
The Board of Supervisors is the body governing counties in the U.S. to fill a vacancy in the state senate for district 28.