* CHRISTINE QUINN, a lesbian New York City council member, was elected by her peers to the post of council speaker, widely regarded as the second-most powerful city post after the mayor.
* GINA GENOVESE, a lesbian Democratic township committee member, was elected mayor of the Long Hill Township in New Jersey by a 5-0 committee vote.
* JON COOPER, a gay New York legislator, was elected majority leader of the Suffolk County legislature on Long Island.
* KEN REEVES, a gay city councilman, was elected by the council to serve his third term as mayor of Cambridge, Mass.
* JIM ROTH, one of the first openly gay elected officials in Oklahoma, was reelected by the Oklahoma County commission as county chair.
* PAULA ABOUD, a lesbian Democratic activist in Arizona, was elected by the Pima County board of supervisors to fill a vacancy in the state senate for district 28.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||NEED TO KNOW|
|Publication:||The Advocate (The national gay & lesbian newsmagazine)|
|Article Type:||Brief Article|
|Date:||Feb 14, 2006|
|Previous Article:||Having a ball in New Orleans.|
|Next Article:||Alito: friend and foe?|