Members of Little Forks Branch have participated in a number of activities. We prepared the school basement for a special Family Reunion Often an annual event, a family reunion takes place on a specified day each year for the purpose of keeping an extended family closer together. Some reunions may be held less often. that attracted many new visitors and, while there, they visited the classroom above. All were very impressed and it was a plus having our summer student on duty.
In August our Tent was erected on the spacious lawns of the Elmwood Inn in Lennoxville, the former residence and parsonage built by the Rev. Lucius Doolittle. The first Anglican Church in this mission of the Diocese of Quebec was called St. James' Church St James Church may refer to:
capital of Grenada
Grenada - an island state in the West Indies in the southeastern Caribbean Sea; an independent state within the British Commonwealth Church in 1845 and Rev. Lucius Doolittle served the parish of both St. James' and St. George's for some twenty-nine years. Among his many interests was that of higher education. He founded Bishop's College School This article is about the school in Canada. Alternatively, visit Diocesan College(Bishops) in Cape Town, South Africa.
Bishop's College School is a private school in Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada. in 1837 and was co-founder of Bishop's College with Bishop George J. Mountain, third bishop of Quebec The title Bishop of Quebec refers to more than one individual:
In September, members participated in Townshipper's Day activities that were held in Richmond. We had a very colourful booth, attracting a continual stream of visitors. Many expressed great interest in joining the UELAC UELAC United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada and we were able to assist many researchers with our books.
We had the opportunity of selling copies of Dr. Robert Paulette's book, The Eastern Townships, featuring his photographs; commissions from sales went to our school.
A very impressive ceremony took place October 16th, with the unveiling of the Early Settlers and the Veterans Monuments at Dufferin Heights and we were extremely pleased to have had Okill Stuart UE present. Little Forks Branch and the UELAC were given a sincere "thank-you" for their financial participation.
Several members attended Armistice Armistice
(Nov. 11, 1918) Agreement between Germany and the Allies ending World War I. Allied representatives met with a German delegation in a railway carriage at Rethondes, France, to discuss terms. The agreement was signed on Nov. Day in Lennoxville and observed members George Beaulieu UE and Edward Hyatt UE placing the Little Forks wreath at the Cenotaph cenotaph
(Greek: “empty tomb”) Monument, sometimes in the form of a tomb, to a person buried elsewhere. Ancient Greek writings tell of many cenotaphs, none of which survives. Existing cenotaphs of this type are found in churches (e.g. . This was our first year to participate with the laying of our own wreath.
Over the summer months members undertook the task of building a monument, to list the names of those who were buried in the first cemetery in Ascot Corner, that was bulldozed over in the late 1930s, with only a few tombstones tombstones
a cellular phenomenon in pemphigus vulgaris; rows of basal cells of the epidermis remain attached to the basal membrane, reminiscent of rows of tombstones. , but no bodies, moved to a new burying ground to make way for the new highway. Since we have a list of burials of this first cemetery, given to me in 1953, we shall have the names laser etched on black granite and fastened to this monument along with three other plaques. We continue to search for Loyalist families noting the possibility of the Lothrop, Winslow, Hall, Willard and Rolfe names--very early families of this area. We have canvassed descendants of these pioneer families along with others, who have been very generous, so we have covered all our expenses to date. We plan to hold the unveiling in late May or early June to be prepared for the tourist season and cordially invite everyone to join us.
We are continuing our struggle to have the "Gilbert Hyatt" road signs re-installed on our section of Provincial Highway 143. It's not dead yet!--for it is still listed in the Official Gazette A compilation published weekly by the Patent and Trademark Office listing all the Patents and Trademarks issued and registered, thereby providing notice to all interested parties. of Quebec. There was never any need for the municipality to remove this historical "Loyalist" name. This was done illegally and now seems to have become a political issue. We are paying close attention to the outcome of the Park Avenue story in Montreal as it is quite similar and, should they win their fight, it will certainly help us.
Text and all photos by Bev Loomis UE