Fluoroplastics Volume 1: Non-Melt Processible Fluoroplastics. By Sina Ebnesajjad. 356 pages. Price, $285. William Andrew Publishing, Norwich, NY (2000).
This reference book concentrates on polytetrafluoroethylene polytetrafluoroethylene
a synthetic material commonly used as a nonstick lining in domestic cooking utensils (frypans); abbreviated PTFE; called also Teflon. Overheating produces toxic fumes that cause an acute hemorrhagic pneumonitis and death in small caged birds, which are and polychlorotrifluoroethylene and their processing techniques. This first volume of a two-book set provides an in-depth treatment of homofluoroplastics polymerization polymerization
Any process in which monomers combine chemically to produce a polymer. The monomer molecules—which in the polymer usually number from at least 100 to many thousands—may or may not all be the same. , properties and part fabrication technology.
Twin-screw extruders. This review report provides up-to-date information on the growing industrial role in recent years for multiple and especially twin-screw extruders. The report covers all aspects of co-rotating extruders and is said to be of particular interest to plastics manufacturers, compounders and polymer material developers. The report sells for $130. (Rapra Technology Ltd.)
Circle 110 on card
Analytical balances. Analytical and toploading balances are featured in the company's eight-page, fold-out, color brochure. Instruments are featured with motor driven internal calibration, as well as touch-key external calibration. All models are said to feature digital stability control, analog display modes, multiple units of measure, piece counting function, etc. (Shimadzu Scientific Instruments)
Circle 111 on card
Hydraulic presses. This manufacturer of standard and specialty engineered hydraulic presses has introduced a brochure detailing a full range of hydraulic presses from 10 to 1,000 tons capacity. The brochure displays the full range of models, as well as the company's capabilities and standard specifications. The company's CAD/CAM CAD/CAM
in full computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing.
Integration of design and manufacturing into a system under direct control of digital computers. system is said to allow the presses to be customized to suit the specific needs of virtually any application. With hundreds of types of presses for producing thousands of products, from rubber tires to plastic composites, the company is said to be raising the bar of excellence in engineering hydraulics, as well as contributing to improving the entire manufacturing process for rubber and plastics compression molders, according to the literature. The company's presses are designed for rubber and plastic compression molders, metal trimming and forming, and custom applications. (Grimco, 65 First Ave., Patterson, NJ 07514)
Circle 112 on card
Mechanical drives. A two-color data sheet features the company's full line of mechanical drives designed for applications where the control of torque, speed, tension, direction or position is critical. The data sheet provides technical information on planetary epicyclic ep·i·cy·cle
1. In Ptolemaic cosmology, a small circle, the center of which moves on the circumference of a larger circle at whose center is the earth and the circumference of which describes the orbit of one of the planets around the earth. drives, differential phase shifters, position control and narrow band transmissions, machine tool spindle drives, multi-speed, variable speed, right angle and reversing drives, and servo drive reducers. The company will meet special torque, speed, registers and control adjustment needs. All products in the data sheet can be adapted to meet special application requirements. (Andantex)
Circle 113 on card
Primer/coating. Metal Jacket, an aqueous, VOC-free treatment and primer/coating system, is featured in a two-page product bulletin. MetalJacket dual-action primer and protectant protectant /pro·tec·tant/ (pro-tek´tant) protective.
1. affording defense or immunity.
2. an agent affording defense against harmful influence. for rubber-to-metal parts offers unrivaled simplicity, aesthetics and cost savings, according to the literature. By eliminating zinc phosphatizing and simultaneously providing quick, safe, impenetrable corrosion resistance, the MetalJacket system is said to redefine the current RTM (1) (RealTime Model) Refers to a system or architecture that performs operations in real time. See real time.
(2) (Release/Released To M bonding paradigm. The Metal Jacket system was developed to better prepare parts for rubber-to-metal bonding. Its high transfer efficiency and uniform deposition make it a unique and versatile product, according to the literature. Key features and benefits are listed in the bulletin. (Lord)
Circle 114 on card
Process control. The company has updated its product literature to include application notes for its SmartTrac process control system. SmartTrac, using real-time feedback from non-intrusive sensors to look inside vulcanization vulcanization (vŭl'kənəzā`shən), treatment of rubber to give it certain qualities, e.g., strength, elasticity, and resistance to solvents, and to render it impervious to moderate heat and cold. processes, ends cure cycles precisely when the desired physical properties are reached. In addition to assuring faster optimal cycle times, SmartTrac significantly improves standard deviation in mechanical properties such as tensile strength, hardness and compression set, according to the literature. Application notes, based on data gathered from laboratory research and a variety of production trials, reflect these improvements. For instance, samples of an EPDM EPDM Ethylene-Propylene-Diene-Monomer
EPDM Enterprise Product Data Management
EPDM Ethylene Propylene Dimonomer (industrial/commercial piping/plumbing components)
EPDM Engineering Product Data Management compound cured using a 150 second fixed time were compared to samples cured using SmartTrac intelligent control. All samples were cured in a slab fashion at 185 [degrees] C for use in the ASTM ASTM
American Society for Testing and Materials D412 tensile test. Those cured by SmartTrac had an average cure time of 129 seconds, which represents a savings of 14%. The standard deviation as a percentage of tensile strength mean was 1.96% for the SmartTrac controlled samples, compared to 9.07% in the fixed time group. This is a 78% reduction in the standard deviation of mechanical properties, according to the application notes. (Signature Control Systems)
Circle 115 on card
Viscosity measurement. The company's 2000-2001 catalog of products and services for viscosity measurement includes viscosity baths (both high temperature and thermoelectrically-cooled low temperature baths), glass capillary viscometers, viscosity standards and several types of automatic viscometers, including one designed especially for polymer analysis, the Autovisc. Another benchtop viscometer viscometer
Instrument for measuring the viscosity (resistance to internal flow) of a fluid. In one type, the time taken for a given volume of fluid to flow through an opening is recorded. , the CAV-2000, completely automates lubricant viscosity determinations to ASTM D445 precision. The modularity of the CAV-2000 allows additional capacity to be added at any time. The catalog also contains sections on SAE J300 test equipment, and general apparatus and laboratory supplies. (Cannon Instrument)
Circle 116 on card
Polybutadiene/SBR. This producer of liquid polybutadiene and liquid SBR SBR - Spectral Band Replication has released its product bulletin and data series publications. The bulletin has been strategically designed to facilitate identification of the best product for the desired application. The product bulletin also discusses product use in various specialized areas such as those encountered in FDA FDA
Food and Drug Administration
n.pr See Food and Drug Administration.
n.pr the abbreviation for the Food and Drug Administration. and National Sanitary Foundation applications. Each product data series publication is a one-page bulletin that explains each of the company's products. The data sheets highlight high vinyl coagents, low vinyl process aids, Ricobond adhesion promoters, UV/EB curable cur·a·ble
Capable of being cured or healed. resins, maleinized liquid polybutadienes, as well as laminating resins. (Ricon Resins)
Circle 117 on card
Industrial process heaters. A complete range of industrial process heaters and elements is documented within the 80 pages of the company's catalog binder. Included within the catalog are tables and suggestions for liquid heating applications and corrosion guidelines for chemical solutions and immersion heater or tank/vessel materials. The catalog includes quartz, Teflon, immersion, laboratory, alumina, over-the-side, bottom tank, screwplug, flange flange (flanj) a projecting border or edge; in dentistry, that part of the denture base which extends from around the embedded teeth to the border of the denture.
1. , circulation, aqua-culture, radiant, tubular and duct heaters. Also included are process heat controls, and more. (Glo-Quartz)
Circle 118 on card
Laboratory equipment. A two-page, color bulletin highlights the company's MiniLab microcompounder, Series 1 rheometers, and Cahn DCA (1) (Document Content Architecture) IBM file formats for text documents. DCA/RFT (Revisable-Form Text) is the primary format and can be edited. DCA/FFT (Final-Form Text) has been formatted for a particular output device and cannot be changed. and TGA See TARGA.
TGA - Targa Graphics Adaptor . The MiniLab microcompounder is said to perform compounding and rheological measurements with as little as 5g of material, and features a co-rotating or counter-rotating design. The microcompounder also features state-of-the-art electronics and software design, and is said to be ideal for product development and/ or small scale sample preparation, according to the literature. Series 1 rheometers are said to feature a high degree of hardware automation with intelligent software functions. They have a modular, building block design, and are designed for specific tasks, although units can be tailored for specific applications and budgets, according to the literature. The Cahn DCA will characterize contact angle, wettability, surface tension and CMC (Common Messaging Calls) A programming interface specified by the XAPIA as the standard messaging API for X.400 and other messaging systems. CMC is intended to provide a common API for applications that want to become mail enabled.
1. (critical micelle concentration In chemistry, the critical micelle concentration (CMC) is defined as the concentration of surfactants above which micelles are spontaneously formed. At this concentration the surface-area between 2 liquids is fully loaded with surfactants and there is no room for additional ). It features single fiber range capability for textiles and composites. The Cahn TGA is said to be ideal for evolved gas analysis Evolved gas analysis (EGA) is a method used to study the gas evolved from a heated sample that undergoes decomposition or desorption. It is possible to detect which gas is evolved using evolved gas detection (EGD). (EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adapter) An early IBM video display standard that provided medium-resolution text and graphics. It required a digital RGB Enhanced Color Display or equivalent monitor and was superseded by VGA.
EGA - Enhanced Graphics Adapter ), due to integrated design (TG-IR, TG-MS, TG-GC/MS). High volume, high vaccum and high pressure systems are also available. (Haake)
Circle 119 on card
Epoxy selector guide. A four-page application selector guide on two component epoxy systems is available. These systems include adhesives, sealants, coatings, encapsulants and potting compounds. Viscosities, mix ratios, set up times, cure schedules, service operating temperature ranges, color codes and application recommendations are listed for over 80 different grades. (Master Bond)
Circle 120 on card
Production systems. A company pamphlet describes total systems for pneumatic and mechanical conveying of bulk solids, conveying systems for gentle raw materials handling in the rubber industry, a centrifugal bead mill for processing products in chemical applications based on the recirculation Noun 1. recirculation - circulation again
circulation - the spread or transmission of something (as news or money) to a wider group or area operating mode and used in the low-viscosity range, and dispersion technology. (Buhler AG)
Circle 121 on card
Automated deflashing. The Rollaveyor automated at-press deflashing system is featured in a two-page technical bulletin. The portable Rollaveyor deflashing system provides automated, high-efficiency deflashing at the molding press for small or large parts in batch or continuous operations. Small parts may be deflashed individually or in twin blast chambers. Dividers may be added to create up to eight compartments with separate tumbling paths. Belt speed and tilt angle can be adjusted for almost any tumbling motion. The Rollaveyor system is said to save floor space and can be moved conveniently away from the press to allow for mold changes or to another press as needed, according to the literature. It receives parts directly from the molding press via conveyor to keep pace with molding. (Hull Finmac)
Circle 122 on card
Solids handling eductors. A full color brochure describes the dry solids handling eductor, said to be a maintenance-free alternative to rotary airlock airlock
1. a bubble of air blocking the flow of liquid in a pipe
2. an airtight chamber between places that do not have the same air pressure, such as in a spacecraft or submarine
Noun 1. bulk feeding components. Said to be ideal for moving almost any conveyable solid product, including pellets, powders and particulates, the company's solids handling eductors also handle a wide range of materials that typically cause problems in mechanical feed devices, according to the literature. These solids handling eductors employ motive air to entrain entrain /en·train/ (en-tran´) to modulate the cardiac rhythm by gaining control of the rate of the pacemaker with an external stimulus. and transport solids, and are also available in several construction materials. (Schutte & Koerting)
Circle 123 on card
Centrifugal separators. A brochure describes the Centri-Sifter line of centrifugal separators, and details both gravity-fed models and pressurized pres·sur·ize
tr.v. pres·sur·ized, pres·sur·iz·ing, pres·sur·iz·es
1. To maintain normal air pressure in (an enclosure, as an aircraft or submarine).
2. models for screening in-line with dilute-phase pneumatic conveying systems. Specialized designs described include Centri-Sifter bag dump stations, twin Centri-Sifter configurations, clean-in-place Centri-Sifter separators, units with integral feeders and low-profile models for areas with limited headroom. Included are photographs and descriptions of typical applications, including dewatering Dewatering (dē′wöd·ər·iŋ) is the removal of water from solid material or soil by wet classification, centrifugation, filtration, or similar solid-liquid separation processes. of polymers. (Kason)
Circle 124 on card