Laminoplasty for patients aged 75 years or older with cervical myelopathy/Authors' replyTo the Editor:
We read with interest the article by Ishii et al.1 To enable a better comparison with other studies and to indicate the true effect of surgery, the authors should have commented on the duration of symptoms and its correlation with outcomes. Patients who had a shorter duration of symptoms and milder myelopathy myelopathy /my·elop·a·thy/ (mi?e-lop´ah-the)
1. any functional disturbance and/or pathological change in the spinal cord; often used to denote nonspecific lesions, as opposed to myelitis.
2. were reported to have significantly better postoperative neurological improvement based on the Japanese Orthopaedic Association (JOA JOA Joint Operating Agreement
JOA Joan of Arc
JOA Joint Operations Area
JOA Journal of Accountancy (AICPA publication)
JOA Joint Operational Area (US DoD)
JOA Joint Operating Area ) scoring system.2 Consistent with this finding, surgical outcomes and duration of symptoms were also reported to be correlated.3
O Berber, Z Harb, R Berber, Q Bismil
Department of Orthopaedics
St George's Hospital St George's Hospital, founded in 1733, is a teaching hospital in London, England. It has continuously trained medical students since that date. History
In 1716 Henry Hoare, William Wogan, Robert Witham and Patrick Cockburn decided to open the Westminster Public Infirmary
London, United Kingdom
1. Ishii M, Wada E, Ishii T, Kawai H, Kaneko N, Fuji T. Laminoplasty for patients aged 75 years or older with cervical myelopathy. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2008;16:211-4.
2. Aizawa T, Sato T, Sasaki H, Matsumoto F, Morozumi N, Kusakabe T, et al. Results of surgical treatment for thoracic myelopathy: minimum 2-year follow-up study in 132 patients. J Neurosurg Spine 2007;7:13-20.
3. Mastronardi L, Elsawaf A, Roperto R, Bozzao A, Caroli M, Ferrante M, et al. Prognostic relevance of the postoperative evolution of intramedullary spinal cord spinal cord, the part of the nervous system occupying the hollow interior (vertebral canal) of the series of vertebrae that form the spinal column, technically known as the vertebral column. changes in signal intensity on magnetic resonance imaging magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), noninvasive diagnostic technique that uses nuclear magnetic resonance to produce cross-sectional images of organs and other internal body structures. after anterior decompression for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. J Neurosurg Spine 2007;7:615-22.
Age,1 duration of symptoms,2 severity of myelopathy,3 cervical alignment,4 and spinal cord signal change on magnetic resonance images5 have been reported to be prognostic. We only focused on age and postoperative clinical features to determine if surgery was justified. We could not investigate other prognostic factors from our data.
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Hoshigaoka Koseinenkin Hospital, Osaka, Japan
1. Nagashima H, Morio Y, Yamashita H, Yamane K, Teshima R. Clinical features and surgical outcomes of cervical myelopathy in the elderly. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2006;444:140-5.
2. Yamazaki T, Yanaka K, Sato H, Uemura K, Tsukada A, Nose T. Cervical spondylotic myelopathy: surgical results and factors affecting outcome with special reference to age differences. Neurosurgery neurosurgery /neu·ro·sur·gery/ (noor´o-sur?jer-e) surgery of the nervous system.
Surgery on any part of the nervous system. 2003;52:122-6.
3. Tanaka J, Seki N, Tokimura F, Doi K, Inoue S. Operative results of canal-expansive laminoplasty for cervical spondylotic myelopahty in elderly patients. Spine 1999;24:2308-12.
4. Suda K, Abumi K, Ito M, Shono Y, Kaneda K, Fujiya M. Local kyphosis kyphosis (kīfō`səs): see hunchback. reduces surgical outcomes of expansive open-door laminoplasty for cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Spine 2003;28:1258-62.
5. Morio Y, Teshima R, Nagashima H, Nawata K, Yamasaki D, Nanjo Y. Correlation between operative outcomes of cervical compression myelopathy and MRI 1. (application) MRI - Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
2. MRI - Measurement Requirements and Interface. of the spinal cord. Spine 2001;26:1238-45.
© 2008 Western Pacific Orthopaedic Association Provided by ProQuest LLC (Logical Link Control) See "LANs" under data link protocol.
LLC - Logical Link Control . All Rights Reserved.