LOCAL VIDEO STORE WINS MALL BATTLE\Blockbuster must alter plan.Byline: Enrique Rivero Daily News Staff Writer
In a partial victory for a small businessman Noun 1. small businessman - a businessman who runs a business employing less than 100 people
businessman, man of affairs - a person engaged in commercial or industrial business (especially an owner or executive) , the Planning Commission Noun 1. planning commission - a commission delegated to propose plans for future activities and developments
commission, committee - a special group delegated to consider some matter; "a committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours" - Milton Berle has ordered Blockbuster block·bust·er
1. Something, such as a film or book, that sustains widespread popularity and achieves enormous sales.
2. A high-explosive bomb used for demolition purposes.
3. Video to aim the entrance to its planned Westlake Plaza Shopping Center shopping center, a concentration of retail, service, and entertainment enterprises designed to serve the surrounding region. The modern shopping center differs from its antecedents—bazaars and marketplaces—in that the shops are usually amalgamated into outlet away from a nearby independent video store.
Ernest Martel - owner of Video Depot, located diagonally east across the parking lot from the chain's proposed store - had charged that Blockbuster was deliberately trying to lure his customers by pointing its entrance toward his store.
He also claimed that the plan would create hazardous traffic in the parking lot.
On Monday, the commission agreed with Martel's traffic concerns and voted unanimously to order the giant chain to relocate its entrance from the east side to the south side toward Agoura Road, overturning a prior city decision that Martel was challenging.
"Obviously, I'm pleased that they were able to see the traffic that would be totally hazardous by facing the entrance on the east side," Martel said.
He believes that the move should reduce the Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.-based video chain's threat to his 15-year-old business by making Blockbuster's entrance less visible to his customers.
"Let's say that we're more on an even keel keel
1. the ventrally directed large surface of the bird's sternum, the site of attachment of the major muscles of flight. Called also carina.
2. the prominent area over the sternum in Dachshunds. ," said Martel, who had hoped that the commission would order Blockbuster to move to the west side of the center on Westlake Boulevard.
The Planning Commission approved the original plans for the 4,500-square-foot Blockbuster store in November along with an overall expansion and renovation of the shopping center.
pl -lies Brit slang a stupid or foolish person [from the name Walter]
Noun 1. Knief, a spokesman for Blockbuster Entertainment Group, said Tuesday that Trust Company of the West, the owner of the shopping center, will appeal Monday's decision to alter the plan to the City Council.
"We have some expectation there will be a determination in four to six weeks," Knief said.