Printer Friendly

LANCASTER SHOOTING TRIAL OPENS MAN, 19, CHARGED IN CASE.

Byline: Karen Maeshiro Staff Writer

LANCASTER - Trial has started for a 19-year-old Lancaster man charged with attempted murder in the drive-by shooting of a 15-year-old boy wounded in the leg as he and a friend walked down a street.

Jayme Guzman is one of two young men who have been charged in the December 2001 incident. The second defendant, 19-year-old Raul Flores, was still being sought by authorities.

``The one who was shot has recovered quite nicely,'' Deputy District Attorney Carlos Chung said. ``He still has some residual effects, some residual pain where he was shot.''

The trial started last week and will resume today in Lancaster Superior Court.

The 15-year-old boy and a 19-year-old Lancaster man were walking on Glenraven Road about 9:45 p.m. on Dec. 26 when a car drove by, made a U-turn and came back, deputies said.

A passenger got out of the car and fired three rounds from a small-caliber handgun, deputies said.

Guzman was identified as one of the car's occupants and arrested more than an hour later.

Deputies said the shooting followed an argument between the boy's companion and the companion's ex-girlfriend.

Investigators said the 15-year-old and the 19-year-old had walked past the home of the older teen's ex-girlfriend as she talked with three men in a compact car parked in her driveway.

Investigators said two of the men in the car were arguing over whose baby the 19-year-old's former girlfriend was carrying.

After the 19-year-old and the ex-girlfriend argued, deputies said the teens continued walking up Glenraven and that the compact car pulled out of the driveway and followed them.

After the shooting, the two ran, climbing though back yards along Glenraven. At the older one's home, they discovered that the 15-year-old had been shot in the leg.

Deputies located the car and Guzman at his home in the 44700 block of Foxton Avenue.
COPYRIGHT 2002 Daily News
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)
Date:Sep 6, 2002
Words:314
Previous Article:COMMUNITY WILL RECOGNIZE REGION'S HEROES TEEN COMMITTEE PICKS 26 NOMINEES.
Next Article:CONTAINMENT SEEN TODAY LIGHT RAIN HELPS FIRE CREWS.


Related Articles
BRIEFLY JUDGE GRANTS NEW TRIAL IN SLAYINGS.
MAN SHOT IN ROBBERY SENTENCED TO 19 YEARS.
BROTHERS ORDERED TO STAND TRIAL PALMDALE PAIR CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED MURDER.
MAN SENTENCED, FREED IN PARTY SLAYING.
BRIEFLY : MAN GETS 4 YEARS IN DRUG-DEAL CASE.
PAIR RETURNED TO FACE CHARGES IN '94 KILLINGS.
MAN CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED MURDER.
SCHOONER'S TRIAL MOVING JUDGE CITES LACK OF SECURITY AT A.V. COURTHOUSE.
MAN, 20, FACES LIFE SENTENCE IN GANG SHOOTING.
MAN GIVEN LIFE IN PRISON TEEN PARALYZED IN 2003 SHOOTING.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters