Printer Friendly

KMOX-FM's obituary 1962-1981.

When KMOX ownership announced plans for a new experimental FM station in 1941, international circumstances prevented the project from coming to life. When the station finally was born two decades later, no one seemed to know what to do with it.

While FM broadcasting in 1941 was in an experimental stage, the bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 of that year put a halt to technological broadcast development, and although several FM stations signed on in St. Louis following the war, most "went dark" within a couple of years.

On Feb. 12, 1962, KMOX-FM signed on. The broadcast day initially ran

from 6 a.m. until midnight, and it was a 100 percent simulcast of the KMOXAM programming. It was this simulcasting practice that had caused the failure of those other FM stations in the late '40s and early '50s. Listeners, it seems, saw no reason to buy a new radio to listen to programs they could hear on the AM radios they already owned.


Then in 1967, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that 50 percent of FM programming on co-owned stations had to be original rather than simulcast. KMOX-FM began providing its listeners with what was called "The Young Sound," a format consisting of middle-of-the-road music with selected current hits mixed in. These music tapes were provided by CBS in New York. The fact that the music was in stereo was a big selling point and gave reason to listeners who had considered buying high quality FM receivers.

This evolved into "The Sound of the '70s." A St. Louis Globe-Democrat article on April 11, 1970, quoted station General Manager Robert Hyland: "KMOX-FM stereo ... avoids the hard rock to concentrate on adult pop--the tops in popular music for the 20-40 age group."

In the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, in November of that year, Hyland said, "To keep KMOX-FM stereo on top of things, we select new music each day. Each week we review the music we are broadcasting and add at least eight new singles and 10 new albums to the station's repertoire ... Our future plans include specials devoted exclusively to various types and categories of music, as well as programs built entirely around individual artists."

Hyland didn't mention that his FM station would also serve as a dumping ground for sports broadcasts. In those days, KMOX-AM had play-by-play rights to every major sports team in the city. When there were two teams scheduled to play at the same time due to the over lap of sports schedules, one team would have its broadcast shifted to the FM station.

Most of the musical programming decisions came from Bob Osborne, a KMOX employee who wore many hats. He was also heard as a deejay on KMOX-FM and was the voice on many of the station imaging spots. Many other people were deejays on the station during those two decades, and their paths to the seventh floor studios at 1 Memorial Drive weren't always pleasant. There were times when GM Hyland would "farm out" talent from KMOX. Some saw it as a punishment--radio's equivalent of the proverbial trip to Siberia. But there were others who used their announcing jobs there to supplement their free-lance voiceover income.

Live deejay shows were seldom heard on KMOX-FM. Instead, taped voice tracks were inserted into the station's huge automation system, in the hope that listeners might think they were hearing someone live. The black monster filled an entire room and contained all sorts of electronic bells and whistles. There was even a large tape cartridge that contained a time signature for every minute of the day ("It's 12:15 at KMOX-FM."), with everything designed to make the station sound live. But it cost CBS less to pay people to record voice tracks because each jock could turn out several shows in a short time, and they were only paid for the time spent recording. It didn't seem to bother station management that there were occasional technical miscues, causing listeners to hear the announcers introducing a song that had been heard 10 minutes before.

The end of KMOX-FM began in August 1981 when CBS began the national experiment known as "Hit Radio." The station's playlist began its transformation with more current pop hits being added, and by the end of the year the KMOX-FM call letters were dropped, replaced by KHTR.

Frank Absher is a St. Louis radio historian. St. Louis radio history is available online at
COPYRIGHT 2008 SJR St. Louis Journalism Review
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Radio History
Author:Absher, Frank
Publication:St. Louis Journalism Review
Date:Feb 1, 2008
Previous Article:FCC's tinkering could benefit local programming.
Next Article:Tyndall report: top stories of 2007.

Related Articles
St. Louis needs full-time radio critic.
Radio personality writes book on St. Louis history.
Top of the charts.
Local radio readies for trade.
Changing line-ups.
Rock "n" roll revealed.
Changes across the airwaves.
Cards: a hit.
Radio consultants shrillness & clutter.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2016 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters