Jobs hunt under way for Hillsborough archivists; Police chief welcomes recruitment move.
THE first jobs in the long process to make public the 2m documents about the Hillsborough tragedy were advertised today.
Sheffield city council is looking to recruit three experienced temporary archivists until February, 2011, to sift through the huge number of files held on the disaster.
Those appointed will have to pore over a massive amount of paperwork from the South Yorkshire Police, the regional fire and ambulance services and Sheffield Wednesday Football Club and the local authority.
Also being scrutinised are files from West Midlands Police papers, Lord Justice Taylor''s public inquiry papers, Lord Justice Stuart Smith inquiry research, and further audio and video material.
The roles were advertised in the Guardian today and interested candidates told to reply by December 9, with each role commanding a salary of up to pounds 28,636.
A spokesman for Sheffield City Council said: "The archivists will look at each individual item and allocate a unique reference number before cataloguing them.
"Each item will be described, along with its content and context so that, in the future, researchers using the archives can understand and interpret the documents. It will also make retrieving documents quick and easy.
"The project to catalogue and open up the documents for use is funded by the Home Office.
"The documents about the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster are kept in the Archives Service in Sheffield to ensure that they are kept in the best conditions for their long term future, managed by professional archivists."
Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, Meredydd Hughes, said: "It''s great that the city council, with Home Office funding, is now able to take the steps to recruit these archivists.
"This shows to everybody that we are moving from discussion to action and we look forward to working with all partners to get this process under way."
Some media outlets have previously reported that families of the 96 were set to start having sight of the Hillsborough documents, contained in 500 boxes, as early as this month, but it is understood that will not happen until after the New Year as the enormity of the task ahead becomes ever more apparent.
A five-man independent panel will be established to oversee the release of documents to the families and the wider public.
LDP Mobile For News, Sport and Business on your phone Text LDP to 67800
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Liverpool, England)|
|Date:||Nov 25, 2009|
|Previous Article:||'Terror cell' email led to university arrests; Student was 'al-Qaida ringleader'.|
|Next Article:||King Kong 'skeleton' hits the heights as model sells for pounds 120,000.|