Printer Friendly

Inquiry into hospital drugs death.

Byline: BY LIAM MURPHY Daily Post Staff

AN INQUIRY has been launched at a Wirral hospital into the storage of drugs after a worker died of a suspected overdose of medication only available from his workplace.

Operating theatre technician Kevin Murphy, 27, was found dead in a car with a specialist needle in his arm and drugs, normally used by anaesthetists, nearby, an inquest heard.

Police and ambulance services were called after a passer by reported seeing a man with a hypodermic needle in his arm.

Drugs used in hospital operating theatres were discovered on the front passenger seat of the car.

Mr Murphy, of New Chester Road, Bromborough, had last been seen at 3am that same morning at the home of his partner, with whom he had nine-month-old twins. He had been at a party held to celebrate her birthday, during which the coule were said to have argued.

Paul Holt, Director of Operations and Chief Nurse at Wirral Hospital NHS Trust, said: "We can confirm the drugs involved are widely used in operating theatres and are accessible to healthcare professionals."

Mr Holt added: "Although we believe the way in which we currently store the drugs involved balances the need for security with the need for easy access, we will be examining whether there are any other appropriate storage options."

The inquest was adjourned.

liammurphy@dailypost.co.uk
COPYRIGHT 2006 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Apr 28, 2006
Words:229
Previous Article:Botham is to visit city on walk for children's cancer charities.
Next Article:COMMENT & ANALYSIS: OBITUARY; Ellen Kuzwayo.
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters