A gentleman who contributed his talent, time and money to better Temple University and other charities throughout the Philadelphia area has passed on, but the memory of his dedication to helping others will live on forever. Temple University was privileged to have Eugene "Fitz" Dixon serve on its Board of Trustees and assist with helping Temple achieve the success that it now knows.
Dixon's family ancestors included P.A.B. Widener, who was known as the "traction king" and who had a hand in the establishment of the streetcar lines in Philadelphia, Chicago, New York, Pittsburg, and Baltimore. The Southeast Transportation Society (SEPTA) originated from the Widener lines.
Dixon taught at the Episcopal Academy in Philadelphia and served on the board of governors for many fine organizations in the Philadelphia area. He was instrumental in not only helping his students at Episcopal, but helped many metropolitan-area students achieve success.
Fitz Dixon is survived by his wife, Edith (Robb), his son, George Weidner Dixon, and daughter, Ellin Dixon Miller. Burial will be private and a memorial service will be held in September.
After a lifetime of public service as minister, professor, college president, ambassador, and statesman, Glenn A. Olds passed away at age 86 this past March. Glen Olds was raised in Oregon. He attended Willamette University and Garrett Theological Seminary, and was an ordained Methodist Minister serving churches throughout the Midwest. He achieved his Ph.D. in Philosophy from Yale University in 1948 and was appointed professor of philosophy at Depauw University, Garrett and Northwestern. He also taught at eight other institutions, including American University and Portland State University.
At age 37 he became President of Springfield College in Massachusetts and in 1965 was appointed University Dean for International Studies and World Affairs in the State University of New York system. Olds served under four U.S. Presidents (Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon) as consultant to the Peace Corps, principal architect of VISTA in the War on Poverty, Special Assistant for Policy and Manpower Development to President Nixon, and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Economic and Social Council. He took over the presidency at Kent State in 1971, and undertook the daunting task of healing a university still troubled by that University's tragedy. In 1977, he tackled the challenge of reopening Alaska Pacific University, the liberal arts Methodist college, in Anchorage, Alaska, and served as president. In 1986 he ran a close race as the Democratic candidate for the U. S. Senate in Alaska. He served as President and C.E.O. of the Fetzer Foundation and Ted Turner's Better World Society; but Olds returned to Alaska to work with Governor Hickel as commissioner of Commerce and Economic Development and of Natural Resources.
During his term at the Fetzer Foundation he was instrumental in the Center for Frontier Sciences obtaining a matching grant, and he attended various conferences hosted by the Center in its early years.
Glen Olds is survived by his wife, Dr. Eva B. Olds, his daughter, Dr. Linda E. Olds professor of psychology and religious studies at Linfield College, and his son, Dr. G. Richard Olds, chairman of Medicine at Medical College of Wisconsin. He is also survived by his daughter-in-law and grandchildren.
Stanley C. Tuttleman
Philanthropist and businessman Stanley C. Tuttleman died in August at age 87. Tuttleman, along with his wife Edna, was a committed supporter and generous friend of Temple University and numerous institutions in the Philadelphia region, donating his time and wealth to worthy causes. The landscape of Temple's Main Campus changed dramatically because of Tuttleman's philanthropy. In 1999, the Tuttleman Learning Center opened, which was the first academic building constructed on campus in 20 years and also ushered in a new era of building up Temple's campus.
Tuttleman was a 1940 graduate of the University of Chicago and earned his bachelor's degree in economics. He joined the Army in 1942 and saw action in World War II, and was awarded the Bronze Star Medal. After his discharge in 1945 he worked for the Wilson Bros. Clothing manufacturing plant in West Virginia, where he stayed until moving back to Philadelphia in 1953.
Tuttleman earned his wealth through his ventures in clothing manufacturing. He started the Quakertown shirt manufacturers and in 1960 he opened his first store. In the 1970s, he co-founded Mast Industries, which became one of the world's largest clothing manufacturers. He sold the company to The Limited in 1979 and in 1980 he founded Midshipman, which sold women's sportswear to Season's Best stores. Tuttleman also opened what are considered the first outlet stores and sold those in 1990.
The Philadelphia region has felt the impact of Tuttleman's generosity. He has funded the Tuttleman Contemporary Art Gallery at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Franklin Institute's Tuttleman Omniverse Theater, the Tuttleman Library at Gratz College, the Tuttleman Chapel at Temple Adath Israel, the Tuttleman Imaging Center at Graduate Hospital, and the Tuttleman Sculpture Gallery at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.
Stanley Tuttleman is survived by his wife, Edna, their sons Steven and David and daughter Jan, his stepchildren Zev Guber and Carol Guber, and 10 grandchildren.