In UFC 104, Rua gets next chance to solve riddle of MachidaUFC UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship
UFC Universidade Federal do Ceará (Brazilian University)
UFC Unified Facilities Criteria
UFC Uniform Fire Code
UFC Uniform Freight Classification
UFC United Facilities Criteria
UFC USACE Finance Center coverage, go to
Like everyone else, Mauricio ÒShogunÓ Rua knows UFC light heavyweight light heavyweight
1. A weight division in professional boxing having an upper limit of 175 pounds (78.7 kilograms), between super middleweight and cruiserweight.
2. A boxer competing in this weight division.
3. champ Lyoto Machida Lyoto Carvalho Machida (born May 30 1978 in Salvador, Brazil) is a Japanese-Brazilian professional mixed martial arts fighter. Son of a Japanese-Brazilian Shotokan karate master Yoshizo Machida, Lyoto is considered by many to be a rising star in MMA, having secured victories over will be the favorite when the lights go down at the Staples Center This article
* Its neutrality is disputed.
* It may contain original research or unverifiable claims.
* It does not cite any references or sources. in has multiple issues:Los Angeles Los Angeles (lôs ăn`jələs, lŏs, ăn`jəlēz'), city (1990 pop. 3,485,398), seat of Los Angeles co., S Calif.; inc. 1850. for the main event of UFC 104 on Saturday.
ÒHeÕs the No. 1 fighter in the weight class and the champion,Ó Rua said. ÒI give him props, and I think itÕs only right heÕs the favorite.Ó
Rua is a big underdog — gambling sites have listed Machida at as much as a minus-500 favorite — but the 27-year-old Brazilian thinks he can walk out of the Octagon with the 205 pound title belt around his waist.
ÒI believe in my potential. I know what I can do. I feel 100Êpercent focused,Ó said Rua, who is coming off a first-round TKO victory against UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell Charles David 'Chuck' Liddell (born December 17, 1969 in Santa Barbara, California), also known as "The Iceman" is a mixed martial artist who fights for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. at UFC 97 in April.
ÒI only train, eat and sleep. IÕve tried to take each fight as a step toward my goal. Now, the time has come. ItÕs time for me to rise up to the occasion.Ó
Fifteen other fighters have been unable to defeat Machida or to solve the unbeaten championÕs unconventional style of Machida karate, based on Shotokan karate.
ÒI think people call Lyoto Machida a puzzle because heÕs a very different kind of fighter. He fights in a different style than most people fight,Ó Rua said. ÒItÕs very difficult to find sparring partners and train with sparring partners who will emulate his style so you can get used to it.Ó
The defensive-minded Machida rarely gets hit.
ÒI believe Lyoto Machida is a fighter who fights with a counter-strike style, so if you expose yourself to him by overly pressing forward, he can take advantage of that and capitalize and hit you, hurt you and take advantage of your exposure,Ó Rua said. ÒI think you have to be patient enough to find the right moment to attack, to know when to engage, when to connect with your strikes and when to pursue him so you donÕt get exposed to his style and his counter-striking abilities.Ó
Sounds good in principle, but previously unbeaten Rashad Evans Rashad Anton Evans (born September 25, 1979 in Niagara Falls, New York) is an American mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter currently signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. couldnÕt figure Machida out at UFC 98 in May. ÒThe DragonÓ handed Thiago Silva his only career setback in January and held off Tito Ortiz at UFC 84.
But the champ isnÕt taking Rua (18-3 overall MMA (Microcomputer Managers Association, Inc.) A membership organization with chapters throughout the U.S. that was devoted to educating personnel responsible for personal computers. It disbanded in 1996.
Mma - A fast Mathematica-like system, in Allegro CL by R. Fateman, 1991. mark) for granted.
ÒIÕve followed ShogunÕs career for a long time,Ó Machida said. ÒEveryone knows what heÕs accomplished in his career. We know each other. We respect each other. But at the end of the day, we want the same thing.Ó
Andy Samuelson can be reached at 948-7837 or at email@example.com.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Las Vegas Sun|
|Date:||Oct 19, 2009|
|Previous Article:||The defense wasnÕt as bad; on the other hand ..|
|Next Article:||One who knew Garth Brooks before his fame says heÕs still the same|