INTOXICATED BY PROPOFOL; Death was homicide.
Byline: MARTIN FRICKER
POLICE were last night sending their file on Michael Jackson's death to prosecutors after a coroner officially ruled his death a homicide.
Cops are handing over a file to the District Attorney for possible criminal charges after the LA coroner confirmed that the King of Pop died of acute Propofol intoxication.
The Mirror revealed this week that the coroner discovered Jackson had "lethal levels" of the hospital pre-op sedative in his system.
The Los Angeles official has now confirmed his death is being treated as homicide, which covers death at the hands of another person "by commission or omission". It also covers murder or manslaughter.
The coroner's brief report said Jacko also had other "conditions contributing to his death" but did not elaborate on what that meant, except to reveal the "Benzodiazepine benzodiazepine (bĕn'zōdīăz`əpēn'), any of a class of drugs prescribed for their tranquilizing, antianxiety, sedative, and muscle-relaxing effects. Benzodiazepines are also prescribed for epilepsy and alcohol withdrawal. effect".
The group of drugs - more commonly known as "Benzo" - are used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
The coroner did not release the full autopsy but his initial report says the drugs Propofol and Lorazepam lorazepam /lor·a·ze·pam/ (lor-az´e-pam) a benzodiazepine used as an antianxiety agent, sedative-hypnotic, preanesthetic medication, and anticonvulsant.
n. (Ativan) were found to be the primary drugs responsible for Jacko's death.
Other drugs detected were Midazolam (Versed), Diazepam diazepam /di·az·e·pam/ (di-az´e-pam) a benzodiazepine used as an antianxiety agent, sedative, antipanic agent, antitremor agent, skeletal muscle relaxant, anticonvulsant, and in the management of alcohol withdrawal symptoms. (Valium), Lidocaine lidocaine /li·do·caine/ (li´do-kan) an anesthetic with sedative, analgesic, and cardiac depressant properties, applied topically in the form of the base or hydrochloride salt as a local anesthetic; also used in the latter form as a (topical anaesthetic) and Ephedrine ephedrine (ĭfĕd`rĭn, ĕf`ĭdrēn'), drug derived from plants of the genus Ephedra (see Pinophyta), most commonly used to prevent mild or moderate attacks of bronchial asthma. (used to treat hypotension associated with anaesthesia). The final coroner's report, including the toxicology report, is to remain secret in the hands of the LAPD 1. LAPD - Link Access Procedure on the D channel.
2. LAPD - Los Angeles Police Department. .
Jackson's personal doctor, Conrad Murray, told police he had given him Propofol on the morning he died - but claimed it was to treat insomnia.
Detectives who searched the star's rented home after his death found up to eight bottles of Propofol, along with other prescription-only pills.
A document released two weeks ago by the Harris County District Clerk in Houston stated: "The Los Angeles Chief Medical Examiner indicated that he had reviewed the preliminary toxicology results and his preliminary assessment of Jackson's cause of death was due to lethal levels of propofol."
Warrants used to search Murray's office when it was raided on July 22 confirmed he was the subject of a manslaughter probe.
The doctor told detectives that he had been treating Jacko for insomnia for about six weeks.
He had been giving the singer 50 milligrams of Propofol every night using an intravenous drip.
The cardiologist feared he was forming an addiction and began trying to wean him off the drugs.
But on the morning of his death, he said he caved in and gave him 25 milligrams of Propofol after a cocktail of drugs failed to send him off to sleep.
When he checked on him later he found he was not breathing and called paramedics. Police arrived at the LA mansion at 12.30pm after Jacko suffered a cardiac arrest. The star was declared dead at hospital soon after.
REPORT Jackson and, right, Dr Murray