IHC reserves verdict on Suki Kinari Hydropower Project.
ISLAMABAD, 18 March , 2009 (Balochistan Times) -- The Islamabad High Court here Wednesday reserved judgement on the NWFP NWFP North-West Frontier Province (northwest Pakistan)
NWFP Northwest Forest Plan
NWFP Non-Wood Forest Product governments plea against the Federal Government over Suki Kinari Hydropower hy·dro·pow·er
Hydroelectric power. Project (SKHP). The single bench of Justice Mohammad Munir Peracha reserved his verdict after the conclusion of arguments by counsels of concerned parties. Barrister Abdul Hafiz Pirzada Abdul Hafiz Pirzada is one of the premier advocates of Pakistan. He hails from a prominent family of Sindh, and is the son of Pirzada Abdus Sattar, a former chief minister of Sindh. , counsel for NWFP government, argued that Federal governments decision to construct the 655MW Suki Kinari Hydropower Project over Kunhar River Kunhar River (Urdu: دریائے کنہار) is located in North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan. A main source of the river is Lulusar lake, nearly 48km from Naran Valley. in Mansehra was illegal and unconstitutional. He said it was the right of the provincial government to build this project and the award of construction contract would amount to depriving the province of its profit, he added. The counsel claimed that the NWFP government has the resources to bear the project cost and according to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. the law the dam has to come under the administration of NWFP government after thirty years. He cited some Supreme Court verdicts over the matter. Qazi Faez Essa, counsel for the Federation and Private Power Infrastructure Board of the Ministry of Water and Power, contended that the proposed SKHP should be constructed by the federal government as the NWFP government does not have resources to meet Rs one billion project cost. He said it should be considered as national asset and could not be thrown away as the country has already been facing power shortage. The counsel said proper and legal process was adopted and an advertisement about the project was published on December 24, 2003. The proposed dam site for Suki Kinari Hydropower Project is located on the Kunhar River, some 6 km upstream of village Kaghan. The proposed capacity of the project as per reconnaissance data available is 655 MW with energy generation of about 2750 GWh. A 17 km long tunnel is to take water from the reservoir to an underground power house to be located near the village Paras. The project can be connected to national grid national grid
Brit & NZ
1. a network of high-voltage power lines linking major electric power stations
2. the arrangement of vertical and horizontal lines on an ordnance survey map at Mansehra / Garhi Habibullah / Abbotabad 220 kV grid stations.
(THROUGH ASIA Asia (ā`zhə), the world's largest continent, 17,139,000 sq mi (44,390,000 sq km), with about 3.3 billion people, nearly three fifths of the world's total population. PULSE)