I thought I'd die if I fell asleep; Interview with Tempany Deckert.
It was panic stations for Home And Away star Tempany Deckert when she really did find herself home and away.
The Summer Bay beauty, Selina Roberts in the hit soap (ITV (1) See interactive TV.
(2) (iTV) The code name for Apple's video media hub (see Apple TV). , 12.55 and 5.10pm), was rushed to hospital earlier this year with glandular fever glandular fever Infectious mononucleosis, see there .
It was too late to write her out of the scripts and studio chiefs had to hire former Echo Point Echo Point is an Australian television soap opera produced by Southern Star Productions for Network Ten in 1995.
The series was devised as an attempt by the Ten Network to finally trounce the opposition soap Home and Away on the Seven Network. star Louise Crawford to fill in for her. Happily, 18-year-old Tempany is now fully recovered but she admits she was terrified ter·ri·fy
tr.v. ter·ri·fied, ter·ri·fy·ing, ter·ri·fies
1. To fill with terror; make deeply afraid. See Synonyms at frighten.
2. To menace or threaten; intimidate. by her ordeal.
"My throat kept getting smaller and tighter," she says. "I thought that if I went to sleep I might die.
"At the very least, I thought my career was over." Indeed, she was so keen to get back to work she had a relapse the day after her return.
"I couldn't do anything, my voice was really slurred slur
tr.v. slurred, slur·ring, slurs
1. To pronounce indistinctly.
2. To talk about disparagingly or insultingly.
3. To pass over lightly or carelessly; treat without due consideration. ," says Tempany, who is now determined to take life more slowly.
Over the past year, she has been involved in a run of exhaustingly steamy storylines.
In today's episode, Selina takes her romance with bad boy Jesse a significant step further. "Selina has always been into boys," laughs Tempany. "In fact, they're her only real interest!"
But the current plot is tame compared to Selina's recent past.
She has been accused of murder, had a pregnancy, miscarriage miscarriage: see abortion.
or spontaneous abortion
Spontaneous expulsion of an embryo or fetus from the uterus before it can live outside the mother. and near- death experience, as well as falling into the clutches of a sinister religious sect.
And then there was a spot of illicit Not permitted or allowed; prohibited; unlawful; as an illicit trade; illicit intercourse.
ILLICIT. What is unlawful what is forbidden by the law. Vide Unlawful.
2. extra-curricular activity with one of her teachers at Summer Bay High school.
"It's been a busy time," Tempany admits.
"I joined Home and Away at 16 and hoped to continue school by correspondence course.
"But there's scarcely enough time to eat or sleep - let alone do anything else." Her parents live in Melbourne, hundreds of miles from the Home And Away studios, so Tempany is now staying with relatives in Sydney.
And they are making sure she looks after herself properly.
"It's a mistake to say 'Yes' to everything," says Tempany.
"It's important to look after yourself."