Printer Friendly
The Free Library
22,728,043 articles and books

I WAS SACKED FOR GIVING MUM WRONG DRUG; Darren doc admits past blunder.

THE anaesthetist involved in the death of a schoolboy in a dentist's chair was sacked from a previous job after he temporarily paralysed a hospital patient by giving her the wrong drug.

John Evans-Appiah yesterday admitted committing the blunder while he worked at Falkirk Royal Infirmary in 1993.

He was supposed to give the patient, who had just given birth by Caesarean section caesarean section: see cesarean section. , a drug to contract her uterus.

Instead he gave her a muscle relaxant muscle relaxant

an agent that specifically aids in reducing muscle tone. Most such agents inhibit the transmission of nerve impulses at the somatic neuromuscular junctions. They include tubocurarine, gallamine, pancuronium, succinylcholine and decamethonium bromide.
, which caused total paralysis and left the woman, Jane Smith, awake but unable to speak.

Evans-Appiah said he had picked up the wrong drug from a trolley and that the label had not been clear.

He said the patient subsequently recovered.

Evans-Appiah's mistake was revealed on the third day of a fatal accident inquiry
A fatal accident inquiry (FAI) is a unique aspect of the Scottish legal system, which is requested by a Procurator Fiscal when a fatal accident has occurred. The legislation underpining this procedure is the Fatal Accident and Sudden Deaths (Scotland) Act 1976.
 into the death of Darren Denholm, 10, of Armadale, West Lothian Coordinates:  Armadale (Longitude: W 31º 41’ 34” / Latitude: N 55º 53’ 45”) is a town within the district of West Lothian in central Scotland. .

Darren had gone to the Peffermill Dental Centre in Craigmillar, Edinburgh, for a routine tooth extraction Tooth Extraction Definition

Tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the bone.

Extraction is performed for positional, structural, or economic reasons. Teeth are often removed because they are impacted.

He had a heart attack and died after a general and local anaesthetic an·aes·thet·ic  
adv. & n.
Variant of anesthetic.

anaesthetic or US anesthetic

a substance that causes anaesthesia


causing anaesthesia
 administered at the clinic reacted with each other.

This week Evans-Appiah told the inquiry at Edinburgh Sheriff Court that he did not know Darren had been given a local anaesthetic.

But yesterday dentist Hallgier Pedersen said he had administered the local anaesthetic under instruction from Evans-Appiah.

Mr Pedersen said: "I would never proceed with treatment without the anaesthetist giving the go-ahead - never ever."

Ghana-born Evans-Appiah, 57, who has held 42 jobs since coming to the UK in 1973, said he wanted to meet Darren's parents after the tragedy last October.

He said: "I wanted to tell them I was sorry. I wanted to join them in their grief."

The inquiry continues.
COPYRIGHT 1999 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1999 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion




Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Sep 16, 1999
Previous Article:Crimewatch turns up fresh leads in Laura murder hunt.
Next Article:Play it by the board and make a million.

Related Articles
YOU'RE A LIAR, DENTIST TELLS DEATH CASE DOC; Tragedy medics accuse each other.
I like to play the fool, says Harriet.
HE HAS BEEN A NAUGHTY BOY; TV apology over Blue Peter star.
I GOT IT WRONG; Death doc admits 'terrible mistake'.
A GRAVE ERROR; Cemetery's chief fired over wrong plot bodies.
Jordan's dad: I want justice; POLICE: Call for 'blundering' officers to be sacked over tot's murder.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters