I'M ON HIT LIST FOR 14TH TIME; SF man slams police over leak.
A FORMER Sinn Fein councillor last night revealed how he has been told he is on a loyalist death list - for the 14th time.
Sean Hayes claimed: "Someone must be sending my details out on a global email to any unionist paramilitaries they can think of."
Mr Hayes, who lives in the Markets area of East Belfast, said he has been told 14 times in just two years that loyalists want him dead.
In one incident in February he was told the UDA were planning to kill him within 48 hours.
But he added: "Even with all these threats the cops still won't allow me to get a personal protection weapon.
"They tell me I'm on a death list and then hand me a booklet on improving home security.
"What makes me angry is that this latest list, with 400 people on it, was taken out of Castlereagh in July last year and yet Security Minister [Ian] Pearson denied it was in the hands of loyalists." But Mr Hayes claimed the minister at the time did know loyalists had taken the list.
He said: "This is coming after members of the RIR were moved to 'less sensitive posts' last year."
Mr Hayes added that these were linked to an inquiry over the disappearance of sensitive intelligence documents.
In total 50 people from the Short Strand area of the city were advised by the PSNI last week to step up their security. However, Sinn Fein claim the document lists 400 people.
FEAR: Hayes & police letter yesterday
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Nov 21, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Football: Drama turning into a crisis for Everton 'luvies' West Brom 4 Everton 0 BLUES MUST TOUGHEN UP OR FACE THE FINAL CURTAIN.|
|Next Article:||IRA spun war web of terror.|