Humanitarian response eIYGaza.Summary: As relative calm returns to Gaza for the first time in three-weeks following the cease-fire, the influx of injured people to health facilities continues. According to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. the Ministry of Health, casualties as at 18 January are 1,305 killed (410 children and 104 women) and 5,450 injured (1855 children and 795 women). The increase in the death count is due to the identification of bodies discovered in areas that were previously inaccessible.
Humanitarian response eIGazaCASUALTIES
As relative calm returns to Gaza for the first time in three-weeks following the cease-fire, the influx of injured people to health facilities continues. According to the Ministry of Health, casualties as at 18 January are 1,305 killed (410 children and 104 women) and 5,450 injured (1855 children and 795 women). The increase in the death count is due to the identification of bodies discovered in areas that were previously inaccessible.
Nine Israeli soldiers have been killed during the operation. According to the Magen David Adom The Magen David Adom (Hebrew: מגן דוד אדום) is Israel's national emergency medical, disaster, ambulance and blood bank service. national society (Israeli equivalent to Red Cross and Red Crescent Red Crescent
1. A branch of the Red Cross organization operating in a Muslim country.
2. The crescent-shaped emblem of such a branch. Society), Israeli civilian casualties Civilian casualties is a military term describing civilian or non-combatant persons killed or injured by military action. The description of civilian casualties includes any form of military action regardless of whether civilians were targeted directly. stand at four and 84 injured since 27 December.
Handicap international Handicap International is a non-governmental organization created in 1982 to provide help in refugee camps in Cambodia and Thailand. Based in Belgium and France, it has since opened branches in six other countries : Switzerland, Luxembourg, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada and the has estimated that up to 50% of the injured have sustained severe injuries such as fractures, amputations, burns and head injuries that will require rehabilitation in order to prevent permanent disability. At least 200-300 new amputees will result from this crisis. In addition, burns resulting from white phosphorus white phosphorus
pure phosphorus, used at one time as a rodenticide. are usually severe and deep, and will require long and intensive rehabilitation to prevent long-term disability
RECENT DEVELOPMENTS & IMPACT OF THE CONFLICT ON CIVILIANS
Ceasefire took effect from 02:00hrs on 18 January. Although aerial bombardments appear to have ceased, there are reported clashes between Israeli forces and militants in the north. One Palestinian farmer was killed today and his son was injured while inspecting the damages to their land east of Khan Younis. (UNRWA UNRWA United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East Operational Update)
Fifty shelters provided refuge for 50,896 people on 17 January. On 18 January, those remaining in the shelters were 46,234 (a decrease of 4662).
Israel's newly appointed coordinator for humanitarian aid Humanitarian aid is material or logistical assistance provided for humanitarian purposes, typically in response to humanitarian crises. The primary objective of humanitarian aid is to save lives, alleviate suffering, and maintain human dignity. to Gaza, Welfare Minister Issac Herzog, toured southern Israel on 18 January, but his office has not yet said anything about humanitarian aid for Gaza.
The Palestinian Ministry of Health issued a critical statement today on the opening of a medical clinic by the Israeli forces at Erez crossing.
Under-Secretary-General of Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
A flash appeal, inter-agency humanitarian response strategy, is expected in the next ten days on the early early recovery phase before moving to early recovery.
E 2009 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
E 2009 Al Bawaba (Albawaba.com)
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company