Historic churches for sale; Commercial Property.
TWO historic North East churches are for sale. Newcastle Diocesan Board of Finance is offering for sale St James's church, within the hamlet of Newton Hall Coordinates:
Newton Hall is a village in County Durham, in England. It is situated to the north of Durham, near Framwellgate Moor and Pity Me, and has the East Coast Main Line running the length of its east boundary. near Corbridge.
The Grade II-listed church is situated in a commanding position with uninterrupted countryside views. The Church was built in 1857 and enlarged in 1873. It was modelled on the Chapel of St Bartholomew's Hospital in Oxford. The building has a pleasant internal space which would easily be manageable for a range of uses. The font, organ, pews and stained glass windows are all still in situ In place. When something is "in situ," it is in its original location. .
The Church is currently leased to Mowden Hall School, however it no longer has a use for the building and its tenancy is due to terminate on September 30 2008. After this time, Newcastle Diocese will no longer have a use for the church and have regretfully re·gret·ful
Full of regret; sorrowful or sorry.
re·gret decided to sell.
Philip Davies of Newcastle Diocese said: "Sadly some churches are closed for regular worship. In this case there was no longer any use for the building because there are only a tiny number of houses nearby and the school which had used the church as a chapel decided to terminate the lease.
"The churchyard around the former church is still in use so any use proposed for the building will have to be very carefully considered by the diocese and, as you would expect for a former church, there will be some restrictions on what the building can be used for.
"However it is a lovely building in a beautiful setting so it will be very interesting to see what uses are proposed for it."
Gray's Chartered Surveyors will be handling the sale of the Church for and on behalf of Newcastle Diocese Board of Finance and are specialist Agents on the sale of redundant Churches.
Durham Diocesan Board of Finance and Jarrow Parochial Church Council The Parochial Church Council or PCC, is the executive body of a Church of England parish. It is constituted as a body corporate by the Church Representation Rules set out in Schedule 3 to the Synodical Government Measure 1969, and consists of the clergy and churchwardens of the are offering for sale St Mark's church and church hall in Jarrow.
The church was built in 1894 by architects Lamb, Armstrong & Knowles who were renowned church designers. Included within the sale is the adjoining church hall.
While St Mark's is a substantial building with a distinctive tall belfry belfry
Bell tower, either freestanding or attached to another structure. More particularly it refers to the room, usually at the top of such a tower, where the bells and their supporting timberwork are hung. and chimney, it is of local rather than wide visual importance, being tucked away in this mainly residential area.
The condition of the building is good and it has been well maintained throughout its lifetime. Until recently, the church was used regularly for services and still retains the features which welcomed it as a place of worship Noun 1. place of worship - any building where congregations gather for prayer
house of God, house of prayer, house of worship
bethel - a house of worship (especially one for sailors) . However owing to a declining congregation, it was decided to close the church and hall, and to focus on the parish church of St Pauls.
The Vendors and their agents have therefore been forced to consider alternative uses for the site which will complement its existing structure and secure the future of the building.
Calum Gillhespy of Gray's, who will be handling the sale and are specialist agents on the sale of closed churches, said: "St Mark's church offers the opportunity for a small developer or private individual to convert the property to a commercial use such as a creche, or for residential units. The construction of the new Tyne Tunnel gives the site an additional long term appeal as this building is located to make it extremely convenient to commuters using the tunnel."
For more information on either of the two churches, contact Katie James at Gray's Richmond Office, tel: (01748) 829212.
UNUSUAL PROPERTIES St Mark's Church in Jarrow, above left, and, right, St James's Church in the hamlet of Newton Hall, near Corbridge.