Galenica Pharmaceuticals' Immune Enhancer GPI-0100 Found To be More Effective in Stimulating an Immune Response.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Galenica Pharmaceuticals today announced that a scientific communication published in the prestigious Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, reported that Galenica's immune enhancer or adjuvant adjuvant /ad·ju·vant/ (aj?dbobr-vant) (a-joo´vant)
1. assisting or aiding.
2. a substance that aids another, such as an auxiliary remedy.
3. GPI-0100 stimulated higher antibody titers than the adjuvant QS-21. The independent study, published in the October 15 issue and entitled, "On the power of the chemical synthesis: Immunological evaluation of models for multiantigenic carbohydrate-based vaccines," is authored by scientists from the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York City is a cancer treatment and research institution founded in 1884 as the New York Cancer Hospital. The main campus is located at 1275 York Avenue, between 67th and 68th Streets, with other locations in New , Laboratories of Tumor Vaccinology vac·ci·nol·o·gy
The science or methodology of vaccine development.
vaccinology A nascent field of expertise related to the creation and deployment of vaccines; the field 'borrows' from epidemiology, immunology, and Bioorganic Chemistry.
The paper addresses the development of novel synthetic multivalent vaccines containing different tumor-associated carbohydrate antigens, and compares the capacity of QS-21 and the related but stable and significantly less toxic GPI-0100 to enhance an antibody response. According to the authors, "The adjuvants, although related, proved significantly different, in that GPI-0100 consistently induced higher titers of antibodies than QS-21." Moreover, the authors report that, "Because GPI-0100 is less toxic than QS-21, greater quantities of GPI-0100 could be safely administered to the mice, and this resulted in a commensurate increase in antibody production."
An immune enhancer or adjuvant is a critical vaccine component that is required to stimulate a protective and/or therapeutically effective immune response against cancer cells or infectious agents. Galenica's lead adjuvant, GPI-0100, is a semi-synthetic derivative from certain natural saponins which have the capability of stimulating Th1 immunity with production of antibodies capable of mediating ADCC ADCC antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity.
antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity. and of antigen-specific cytotoxic T cells (CTL See control key.
1. CTL - Checkout Test language.
2. CTL - Compiler Target Language.
3. CTL - Computational Tree Logic ) that will seek out and destroy cells carrying abnormal markers such as viral or tumor antigens. GPI-0100 is currently undergoing Phase I clinical trials at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, N.Y., and the University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center in Birmingham, Ala.
Galenica Pharmaceuticals Inc. is a closely held company Closely held company
A company who has a small group of controlling shareholders. In contrast, a widely-held firm has many shareholders. It is difficult or impossible to wage a proxy battle for any closely-held firm. engaged in the development of novel products for the prevention and active immunotherapy of cancer and infectious diseases, including bioterrorism. The company's proprietary vaccine formulations integrate its immune enhancers and carriers with antigens designed using proteomic tools for optimal performance. The company's lead product, GPI-0100, has been licensed to Pfizer Inc. for use in animal vaccines, and to Endocyte, Inc. Press releases and other corporate information can be found on Galenica's website at http://www.galenicapharma.com/ .
For further information, please contact: Galenica Pharmaceuticals: David Vigor Executive Vice President (205) 982-8676 firstname.lastname@example.org
Make Your Opinion Count - Click Here http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X59530574
CONTACT: David Vigor, Executive Vice President of Galenica Pharmaceuticals, +1-205-982-8676, or email@example.com
Web site: http://www.galenicapharma.com/