Printer Friendly

GIRL FOUND GUILTY OF THREATENING CLINTON, FAMILY.

Byline: Knight-Ridder Tribune News Wire

A 13-year-old girl was stoic at first when a juvenile court jury pronounced her guilty Friday afternoon of threatening the president.

Then the tears came as she apparently realized the gravity of the trouble she was in for helping write letters that threatened President Bill Clinton and his family.

The girl's name is being withheld because of her age.

Juvenile Court Judge Patricia Campbell set an Aug. 23 date to decide the girl's fate. She could get off with a warning, she could be given probation or the state Family Independence Agency could place her in a treatment program until her 19th birthday.

But authorities seemed to regard her as a child who had made a stupid mistake, rather than as an out-of-control teen-ager who posed a serious threat.

The girl was convicted by a six-member jury, which heard 1-1/2 days of testimony concerning five letters that threatened violence and sexual assault on the first family.

The girl did not write the letters but admitted helping a friend with spelling and grammar, providing envelopes and helping mail them.

The girls told authorities they were trying to get another girl in trouble because they had been blamed for something she did.
COPYRIGHT 1996 Daily News
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996, Gale Group. All rights reserved. Gale Group is a Thomson Corporation Company.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)
Date:Jun 29, 1996
Words:206
Previous Article:FDA SAYS PILL AFTER SEX CAN PREVENT PREGNANCY.
Next Article:CAMEL HELPS CONGREGATION GET BACK AT PRACTICAL-JOKING PREACHER.


Related Articles
DEPUTY ON BAIL IN CHILD SEX CASE.
DEPUTY ORDERED TO STAND TRIAL ON MOLESTING CHARGE.
IMPEACHMENT TRIAL COMING DOWN THE THE BITTER END.
PRESIDENT BELONGS IN A BAR, NOT THE OVAL OFFICE.
NEWS LITE : WOODY ALLEN SAYS SCANDAL IS SILLY, SAD.
BRIEFLY : CHARTER REFORMERS MAY COVER LAUSD.
FORMER CORRECTIONS OFFICER NOT GUILTY OF ASSAULTING GIRL.
CONEJO VALLEY: BRIEFLY : SIMI STABBING VICTIM'S CONDITION IMPROVES.
BRIEFLY MAN FALLS TO DEATH FROM HIGH BALCONY.
HAMMER-ATTACK SUSPECT WILL BE EVALUATED.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters