GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms AdvancedTCA IP Packet Processor Blade Delivers Superior Price/Performance.
AT2-5800 Designed for Demanding Telecommunications Applications
* Dual 750MHz Cavium OCTEON[TM] Plus 16-core CN5860-SCPs
* Up to 16GB memory
* Rear Transition Module provides application flexibility
* Software support designed to speed time-to-market
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Raising the price/performance bar yet again in demanding telecommunications applications, GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms today announced the AT2-5800 IP Packet Processor Advanced TCA Blade. Featuring two high performance Cavium OCTEON[TM] Plus 16-core CN5860 multi-core Secure Communications Processors (SCPs) operating at up to 750MHz, the AT2-5800 enables data and control plane services in the same form factor, providing efficient packet processing as well as significant performance and cost advantages. The AT2-5800 will scale to dual 900MHz OCTEON Plus CN5860 processors when available from Cavium. A Rear Transition Module (RTM (1) (RealTime Model) Refers to a system or architecture that performs operations in real time. See real time.
(2) (Release/Released To M ) is also available.
The AT2-5800 blade is designed to enable high-availability systems for telco-grade next-generation network applications including IP Multimedia Subsystem An integrated network for telecommunications carriers that uses the IP protocol as its foundation for packetized voice, video and data. Supporting voice over IP (VoIP) in all its flavors (SIP, H.323, MGCP, etc. (IMS (1) See IP Multimedia Subsystem.
(2) (Information Management System) An early IBM hierarchical DBMS for IBM mainframes. IMS was widely implemented throughout the 1970s under MVS and continues to be used under z/OS. ), IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) Also called "TV over IP," IPTV delivers scheduled TV programs and video-on-demand (VOD) via the IP protocol and digital streaming techniques used to watch video on the Internet. and wireless broadband. In addition, it is designed to enable rapid application development using open, modular, highly available systems based on AdvancedTCA architectures, and can be configured to enable a wide variety of applications where high speed, secure connectivity is a requirement. The processors - each of which supports up to 8 Gigabytes of DDR2 memory, implemented as packet memory - provide hardware acceleration for security, compression, packet scheduling and QoS (Quality of Service) - and deliver up to 10Gbits/second line-speed core processing for network Layers 2-7. With dual 16-core processors, the AT2-5800 has 32 MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second) The execution speed of a computer. For example, .5 MIPS is 500,000 instructions per second; 100 MIPS is a hundred million instructions per second. 64 cores for high-speed packet processing.
"GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms offers multiple IP Packet Processors to meet various application requirements" said Rubin Dhillon, Global Product Manager of Communications Product Management at GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms. "Our large portfolio of ATCA See AdvancedTCA. blades, AdvancedMCs and PCI-X (PCI eXtended) An enhanced PCI bus technology originally developed by IBM, HP and Compaq that is backward compatible with existing PCI cards. PCI and 32-bit PCI-X slots are physically the same, and PCI cards can plug into PCI-X slots. IP Packet Processors enables custom, scalable systems to be built using readily available COTS building blocks."
"The AT2-5800's architecture - in which dual processors in the same form factor enable data processing tasks such as forwarding, packet inspection and security functions to be carried out in parallel with control plane services - provide significant performance benefits," he continued "Not only is performance optimized, but application integration is greatly simplified - meaning faster time-to-market - and cost is substantially reduced."
I/O operations are provided through a Rear Transition Module (RTM). For application flexibility, the AT2-5800 supports multiple RTM configuration options including any combination of up to 10 ports of IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, www.ieee.org) A membership organization that includes engineers, scientists and students in electronics and allied fields. 1000BaseT, 1000BaseSX, or 1000BaseLX via Small Form factor Pluggable (SFP) transceivers.
The AT2-5800 is designed for NEBS compliance to ensure compatibility with telecom central offices. Telco-grade reliability is calculated via Telcordia SR 332 Issue 1.
The AT2-5800 software implementation is a comprehensive development package designed to improve time-to-revenue. The software development package is optimized to simplify application integration for multi-core processor development environments.
Designed for high availability applications, the AT2-5800 includes an Intelligent Platform Management Controller and firmware subsystem that provides blade management services compliant with IPMI (Intelligent Platform Management Interface) A protocol for monitoring server hardware for temperature, voltage, chassis intrusion, etc. Introduced in 1998 by Intel, HP, NEC and Dell, IPMI defines a standard set of messages for the characteristics of hardware v1.5 or v2.0. These include blade level parameters, monitoring of voltage and temperature conditions, maintaining system status, and managing hot swap operations. A Linux Support Package (LSP LSP - Label Switched Path ), Application Program Interface (API) and sample application code designed to exercise the AT2-5800 are provided to aid in application development. The Linux Support Package includes Wind River Carrier Grade Linux A specification that defines an industrial strength operating system environment using Linux. Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) covers hardware, availability, clustering, security, serviceability and performance. Operating System (PNE-LE) with a Cavium Software Development Kit and user application diagnostics. Other operating systems are available upon request.
About GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms
GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms, a joint venture between General Electric (NYSE NYSE
See: New York Stock Exchange : GE) and FANUC LTD LTD 1 Laron-type dwarfism 2 Leukotriene D 3 Long-term depression, see there 4. Long-term disability of Japan, is a high-performance technology company and a global provider of hardware, software, services, expertise and experience in automation and embedded computing, with products employed in virtually every industry, including manufacturing automation, defense, automotive, telecommunications, healthcare and aerospace. GE Fanuc Intelligent Platforms is a worldwide company head-quartered in Charlottesville, VA, and is part of GE Enterprise Solutions. For more information, visit www.gefanuc.com
Note to editors: High res image can be found at www.gefanucembedded.com/files/images/imglibrary/334highres.jpg
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners