Fujitsu and Sun Boost SPARC Enterprise Server Performance and Virtualization Capabilities.
Tokyo, July 21, 2009 - (JCN Newswire) - Fujitsu and Sun Microsystems, Inc. today enhanced the performance and virtualization capabilities of their chip multi-threaded (CMT) SPARC Enterprise server lines with the addition of 1.6 GHz UltraSPARC? T2 and T2 Plus processors and a new release of Logical Domains (LDoms) virtualization software, leveraging the latest release of the Solaris Operating System (OS).
"Adoption of our CMT servers spans from start-ups to the large enterprise and we continue to see huge interest from customers looking to maximize the return on their infrastructure investments," said Noriyuki Toyoki, corporate vice president of Fujitsu. "With the enhancements we're announcing today, we will be able to offer customers even greater performance and virtualization capabilities."
"Our CMT servers with Solaris make it easy for customers to economize in the datacenter without sacrificing performance or efficiency," said John Fowler, executive vice president, Systems Group, Sun Microsystems. "We've got massive density with virtualization already built-in "it's a great choice for both consolidation and the heavy lifting required by enterprise applications."
CMT servers and the Solaris OS deliver increased performance, scalability and reliability with built-in virtualization capabilities at no additional cost. Combining new 1.6 GHz UltraSPARC T2 and T2 Plus processors with new LDoms 1.2 software provides additional virtualization and compute performance, simplifying management, reducing I/O bottlenecks and accelerating application response time.
LDoms 1.2 software, combined with the latest Solaris OS release, delivers breakthrough new features including:
- Built-in Configuration Tools - Provides simple and streamlined setup of Logical Domains with built-in command line configuration tools that enable customers to quickly begin using LDoms.
- CPU Power Management - Reduces system footprint through unique CPU power management, automatically powering off cores not in use.
- Jumbo Frames - Enhances network performance and efficiencies across network infrastructures with the support of jumbo frames, allowing customers to send more data at one time and reducing processing load requirements.
- Domain Mobility - Enables the dynamic migration of domains to accommodate increased resource demands, maintenance requirements, or to reduce energy consumption during low utilization periods via a single migration command.
- Built-in Recovery - Automatically backs up LDom configurations on disk in case of system corruption.
- Physical-to-Virtual Migration Tool - Allows customers to adopt LDoms infrastructures quickly when moving from existing legacy SPARC/Solaris systems to CMT systems.
SPARC Enterprise servers with 1.6 GHz processors and Solaris deliver world record performance
To date, SPARC Enterprise servers have posted more than 60 industry-leading performance results. New records with the 1.6 GHz processors and the Solaris OS announced today include:
Two-tier SAP SD Standard Application Benchmark
The SPARC Enterprise T5440 server (4 processors/32 cores/256 threads) set a four-processor world record on the two-tier SAP? Sales and Distribution (SD) Standard Application Benchmark with 4,720 SAP SD Benchmark users for all systems running the SAP enhancement package 4 for the SAP ERP 6.0 application (Unicode). The SAP SD Standard Application Benchmark represents the critical tasks performed in real-world ERP business environments and demonstrates the performance of competitive systems running order- and invoice-processing workloads. Running the SAP solution with Oracle? Database , the SPARC Enterprise T5440 server surpassed the competing IBM System 550 server with four POWER6 processors by 26 percent with 3,752 SAP SD Benchmark users(1). This result also highlights the optimal performance of SAP ERP on the Solaris OS and the seamless multilingual support available for SPARC Enterprise systems running SAP applications.
The SPARC Enterprise T5440 server, running seven instances of Oracle WebLogic Server using Solaris Containers technology, outperformed all other competitive solutions with a single-node on the SPECjAppServer2004 benchmark with 7,661.16 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. This benchmark captures the end-to-end application and database performance of a vendor's solutions and highlights the scalability of the SPARC Enterprise T5440 server in both application and database server roles. Running the latest versions of the Solaris 10 OS and Java Server software backed by Oracle Database 11g, the SPARC Enterprise T5440 server delivered 74 percent better performance than the Intel Xeon-based HP DL580 G5 solution and delivered a 21 percent improvement over the previous 1.4GHz-based SPARC Enterprise score(2).
For more information on SPARC Enterprise benchmarks, visit: http://www.sun.com/benchmarks and http://www.fujitsu.com/sparcenterprise/.
SPARC Enterprise servers with 1.6 GHz processors are available immediately with pricing starting at $33,339 USD (US list).
Both Fujitsu-branded and Sun-branded SPARC Enterprise servers will be marketed worldwide. All features are identical.
(1) Two-tier SAP SD Standard Application Benchmark results of the SPARC Enterprise T5440 (4 processors / 32 cores / 256 threads), running Solaris 10, Oracle 10g and SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP (Unicode) are as follows: 4,720 SAP SD Benchmark users; 25,830 SAPS. Fully processed order line items/hour: 516,670, Dialog steps/hour: 1,550,000, Average database request time (dialog/update): 0.110 sec / 0.169 sec, CPU utilization: 96 percent. The SAP certification number was not available at press time and can be found at http://www.sap.com/benchmark.
Two-tier SAP SD Standard Application Benchmark results of the IBM System 550 (4 processors / 8 cores / 16 threads) running AIX 6.1, DB2 9.5 and SAP enhancement package 4 for SAP ERP 6.0 (Unicode) are as follows: 3,752 SAP SAP SD Benchmark users, 20,520 SAPS. SAP certification number 2009023. Results as of July 15, 2009. For more details, see http://www.sap.com/benchmark.
(2) Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 (4 chips, 32 cores, 4RU) 7,661.16 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. HP DL580 G5 (4 x Intel Xeon, 24 cores)4,410.07 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 (4 chips, 32 cores, 4RU) 6334.86 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard.
About Fujitsu Ltd
Fujitsu is a leading provider of IT-based business solutions for the global marketplace. With approximately 175,000 employees supporting customers in 70 countries, Fujitsu combines a worldwide corps of systems and services experts with highly reliable computing and communications products and advanced microelectronics to deliver added value to customers. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.6 trillion yen (US$47 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. For more information, please see: www.fujitsu.com
About Sun Microsystems Incorporated
Sun Microsystems Incorporated (NASDAQ: SUNW). The Company provides products, services and support solutions for building and maintaining network computing environments. The Company sells scalable computer and storage systems, high-speed microprocessors, and a comprehensive line of high-performance software for operating network computing equipment. The Company also provides a broad range of services, including support, professional services, and education. The Company's products are used for commercial and technical applications in various industries like telecommunications, financial services, manufacturing, government, education and research, retail, health care, digital media, and entertainment. Computer systems and storage accounted for 78% of fiscal 2001 revenues; enterprise services, 18% and other, 4%.
Source: Fujitsu LtdSun Microsystems Incorporated
Michelle Parkinson Sun Microsystems, Inc. Tel: 415-294-5086 E-mail:email@example.com Fujitsu Limited Public and Investor Relations Division http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/contacts/
Copyright 2009 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.japancorp.net