Fujitsu FLASHWAVE 4010 Access Device Awarded ``RUS Technical Acceptance'' & ``Buy American'' Status.Business Editors/High-Tech Writers
RICHARDSON, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 17, 2004
Certification from USDA USDA,
n.pr See United States Department of Agriculture. Rural Utilities Service Allows Government
Funding to Subsidize sub·si·dize
tr.v. sub·si·dized, sub·si·diz·ing, sub·si·diz·es
1. To assist or support with a subsidy.
2. To secure the assistance of by granting a subsidy. Next-Generation Optical Access Networks
Fujitsu Network Communications Inc., a leading supplier of IT and networking solutions, today announced that the Rural Utilities Service (RUS) branch of the United States Department of Agriculture United States Department of Agriculture (USDA),
n.pr established in 1862, USDA is responsible for the safety of meat, poultry, and egg products. It conducts ongoing research in areas from human nutrition to new crop technologies and also helps ensure open (USDA) has granted "RUS Technical Acceptance" and "Buy American" status upon the Fujitsu FLASHWAVE(R) 4010 remote SONET access device. By conferring this status upon the FLASHWAVE 4010 device, the capital expenditure required by rural service providers to build next-generation optical access networks has been significantly reduced. The small size, low cost and operational simplicity of the FLASHWAVE 4010 device enables carriers to easily extend optically delivered HiCap (DS1 or DS3) services to more customers at a lower initial capital and operational cost than they ever could in the past, and still receive all the benefits of SONET.
The RUS provides independent and rural utilities and telecommunications service providers A Telecommunications Service Provider or TSP is a type of Communications Service Provider that has traditionally provided telephone and similar services. This category includes ILECs, CLECs, and mobile wireless companies. with low-interest financing to assist them in the purchase of new equipment. The financing serves to keep costs down, which can then be passed to consumers, as well as foster competition with services offered by larger regional and national carriers. In 2003, the USDA committed to providing $1.4 billion for loans to enhance rural telecommunications services In telecommunication, the term telecommunications service has the following meanings:
1. Any service provided by a telecommunication provider.
With this award, the FLASHWAVE 4010 remote SONET extension device joins the FLASHWAVE 4100 optical access device and the FLASHWAVE 4300 Multi-Service Provisioning Platform (MSPP (MultiService Provisioning Platform) A high-end Cisco router that supports TDM circuits, packets and optical connections at the edge of the network. See MSSP and MSTP. ) on the RUS list of domestic materials that qualify for federal financial assistance through low-interest RUS loans. The FLASHWAVE 4300 platform was granted "RUS Technical Acceptance" status in September 2001 and "Buy American" status in September 2003. The FLASHWAVE 4100 platform earned both distinctions in June 2002. Manufacturing and final assembly of all three products is performed in Richardson, Texas Richardson is a suburb in Dallas County and Collin County, Texas. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 91,803, while according to a 2006 estimate, the population had grown to 99,200. .
"This latest award by the USDA demonstrates our ongoing commitment to helping rural telephone and utility companies build reliable, flexible and cost-effective networks," said George Chase, group president and COO for Fujitsu Network Communications. "The broad acceptance of the FLASHWAVE 4010 device by major carriers proves that the market demands a small and simple SONET optical access device that can easily extend DS1 or DS3 services to customers at a low initial capital and operational cost. RUS certification of our FLASHWAVE 4000 products make it possible for all carriers, regardless of their size, to build advanced access networks with the proven reliability of SONET while conserving capital and expense dollars."
The FLASHWAVE 4010 platform is available in four configurations with all combinations of unprotected or 1+1/UPSR protected OC-3 network interfaces and seven DS1 or three DS3 service interfaces. The device is fully interoperable with other standards-based SONET equipment. When connected to other products in the popular FLASHWAVE 4000 MSPP series, the FLASHWAVE 4010 device will automatically execute all provisioning steps to turn up DS1 and DS3 services, setting a new standard for rapid service delivery.
Recently announced enhancements include Unidirectional The transfer or transmission of data in a channel in one direction only. Path Switched Ring (UPSR UPSR Unidirectional Path Switched Ring (SONET)
UPSR Ujian Penilaian Sekolah Rendah (Primary School Assessment Test)
UPSR Unidirectional Path Switch Ring ) support for increased network survivability sur·viv·a·ble
1. Capable of surviving: survivable organisms in a hostile environment.
2. That can be survived: a survivable, but very serious, illness. and the addition of temperature hardening capabilities to allow the FLASHWAVE 4010 device to operate in temperatures from -40 to 65 degrees C (-40 to 149 degrees F). These new capabilities, when combined with existing NEBS Level 3 compliance and optional AC powering, will permit the deployment of the FLASHWAVE 4010 device in a wide variety of applications and environments.
About Fujitsu Network Communications Inc.
Fujitsu Network Communications Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Fujitsu Limited (TSE See Tokyo Stock Exchange.
1. See Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE).
2. See Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE). :6702), is a leading provider of customer-focused IT and carrier-class telecommunications solutions for the Service Provider and Cable TV market in North America North America, third largest continent (1990 est. pop. 365,000,000), c.9,400,000 sq mi (24,346,000 sq km), the northern of the two continents of the Western Hemisphere. . Supported by smart innovation and deep-rooted research from Fujitsu Labs, Fujitsu is uniquely positioned to deliver fully integrated IT/Telecom solutions for its customers. The company's comprehensive consulting and customer services offer support at any network design, development, deployment and maintenance stage. For more news and information, please visit http://us.fujitsu.com.
FLASHWAVE(R) is a trademark of Fujitsu Network Communications Inc. (USA) All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.