Fort Smith GIS program is first on board for map.Fort Smith is the first city in Arkansas to participate in. the U.S. Geological Survey's "National Map" project and the first entity in America to commit to keeping its information current within a seven-day time frame.
The project uses Geographic Information System geographic information system (GIS)
Computerized system that relates and displays data collected from a geographic entity in the form of a map. The ability of GIS to overlay existing data with new information and display it in colour on a computer screen is used primarily to (GIS) technology to collect and maintain comprehensive infrastructure data nationwide. It will include, for instance, a map of all roads All Roads is a 2001 interactive fiction game by Jon Ingold that placed first at the 2001 Interactive Fiction Competition. It also won the XYZZY Awards for Best Game, Best Setting and Best Story and was nominated for Best Individual Puzzle and Best Writing. from interstates to municipal streets.
"This helps dispel the myth that there's a lack of high-tech use in Arkansas and, in particular, this part of the state," said Russell Gibson, Fort Smith's GIS coordinator and a member of the Arkansas land Information Board.
"We've been using this for six or seven years, but it's important to get that recognition at the national level."
Shelby Johnson, the state geographic information coordinator, and Bill Sneed, a liaison in the U.S. Geological Survey's mapping partnership office, both recently visited Fort Smith to see Gibson's work in action.
The system will help with:
* State and federal sex offender registrations This article requires authentication or verification by an expert.
Please assist in recruiting an expert or [ improve this article] yourself. See the talk page for details. . Fort Smith police said the technology could cut their cost of notification from $200 per person in a neighborhood to about $40.
* Savings on initial engineering studies. Estimates show developers could save up to $20,000 per job site in time and money to locate such things as underground utilities or flood plains.
* Fire insurance rate classifications. Fort Smith was about to be downgraded to a class IV city, but GIS mapping of things such as fire hydrants proved the city met class II qualifications, saving every property owner and business in the city insurance costs.
* A Central Business Improvement District properly database function. Online browsers can shop here for office and commercial space based on SF or a variety of other categories.
* Delivery services. United Parcel Service United Parcel Service, Inc. (NYSE: UPS), commonly referred to as UPS, is the world's largest package delivery company, delivering more than 15 million packages a day to 6.1 million customers in over 200 countries and territories around the world. , FedEx Corp., DHL DHL
1. Doctor of Hebrew Letters
2. Doctor of Hebrew Literature Inc., Seats Co., Home Depot The Home Depot (NYSE: HD) is an American retailer of home improvement and construction products and services.
Headquartered in Vinings, just outside Atlanta in unincorporated Cobb County, Georgia, Home Depot employs more than 355,000 people and operates 2,164 big-box Inc. and others use onboard GIS technology, and being on the Geological Survey The term geological survey can be used to describe both the conduct of a survey for geological purposes and an institution holding geological information.
A geological survey map will help ensure timely deliveries.
* Information about city zoning and services. Everything from level of commercial zoning to school bus stops and voting sites are available.