Printer Friendly

Faulty phones hit rescue.

Vital minutes were lost in the search for a father who drowned while trying to rescue his son and a friend because emergency beach phones were faulty, it was claimed yesterday.

Ivan Fisher, 43, of Stalham, Norfolk, died on Saturday after attempting to rescue his 12-year-old son Joshua and a 13-year-old friend who got out of their depth whilst shrimping at Sea Palling.

A beachgoer tsaid a vital 15 minutes were lost as members of the public tried in vain to use the phones, but the operator at the other end could not hear them.

The two boys, who were rescued by kayakers and taken to shore, were left shocked and cold but were unhurt.

Farmworker Mr Fisher was found an hour later unconscious and under water nearby. He died despite efforts to revive him.

A spokesman for North Norfolk District Council, which maintained the emergency beach phones said checks yesterday confirmed the fault.
COPYRIGHT 2003 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Date:Jul 15, 2003
Words:154
Previous Article:Pub imposes total alcohol ban on Best.
Next Article:Store cards `just highway robbery'.


Related Articles
Free fire checks on electric blankets.
Amy's i: NET NEWS.
Bid to cut hoax calls is working; PHONE FIRM AND FIRE SERVICE ARE FIGHTING ABUSE OF 999 SYSTEM.
Runaway trailer kills hero mum as she throws children to safety.
Breach of contract?

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters