Printer Friendly

FROM THE REGION.

COLUMN: FROM THE REGION

Westboro

Indecent assault charge added against fugitive

WESTBORO - A New Jersey man arrested for kidnapping a 15-year-old girl and bringing her to a Southboro hotel was arraigned in Westboro District Court yesterday on an additional charge of indecent assault and battery.

Police say Miguel A. Sosa, 23, of Trenton, N.J., touched the breasts and buttocks of the girl without her consent and forced her to touch him. His case was continued to Aug. 5 on $500 cash bail.

On June 23, police found Mr. Sosa and the teenage girl at the Red Roof Inn on Route 9 in Southboro. The girl had been sending text messages to friends, which eventually helped police locate her.

Mr. Sosa was arraigned the next day on a charge of being a fugitive from justice on a court warrant for kidnapping. Bail that day was set at $20,000 cash. Mr. Sosa likely will be taken back to New Jersey to face charges in that state.

Fitchburg

Man accused of rape on Fourth of July

FITCHBURG - Police arrested a local man early yesterday at his home on two outstanding warrants and one count of rape.

Steven Morse, 42, of 91 Harvard St., was scheduled to be arraigned in Fitchburg District Court yesterday. The alleged rape occurred in Fitchburg on the Fourth of July. The two warrants for his arrest were issued from Fitchburg and Gardner district courts.

No further information was available.

Thompson

50 pounds of pot seized from Thompson home

THOMPSON - Connecticut State Police yesterday arrested two men and seized 50 pounds of marijuana worth about $75,000 from a Thompson home.

Benjamin Davidson, 26, and Luke J. Zinsky 3rd, 23, both of 45 Jerzeskia St., are charged with possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to sell and operating a drug factory. Both men were scheduled to be arraigned yesterday in Danielson Superior Court.

Troopers had a search warrant for the home at 45 Jerzeskia St. A police news release said prior investigation indicated Mr. Davidson was involved in the interstate trafficking of large quantities of marijuana into Connecticut.

In addition to the seizure of marijuana, police confiscated more than $25,000 and drug paraphernalia, including scales, a money counter, packaging material, drug notes and a laptop computer.

Police said the investigation is continuing. Police are asking anyone with information about illegal narcotic activity in the area to call (860) 442-9491 or the anonymous police tip line at (800) 443-7847.

The Statewide Narcotic Task Force from the East Field office and state police from the Troop D Quality of Life Task Force out of Danielson are handling the case.

Dudley

Police say man had 13 marijuana plants

DUDLEY - A 24-year-old man was allegedly found with 13 marijuana plants, each weighing about a pound, equivalent to 900 marijuana cigarettes, a police report said.

Joshua R. Bousquet, who rents a room at 6 Tracy Drive, was charged with distributing marijuana, malicious destruction of property greater than $250, possessing unlawful fireworks and possessing a Class E substance without a prescription, 17 ibuprofen pills.

Mr. Bousquet pleaded not guilty in Dudley District Court yesterday. Judge Neil G. Snider set bail at $200, which Mr. Bousquet posted. A pretrial hearing is Aug. 21.

Dudley police Patrolman James Hutchinson's report said he met Trooper George Berrios of the state police's narcotics unit at the residence.

Other state police with the Army National Guard were on the premises with Mr. Bousquet, who was spotted by a narcotics unit helicopter.

The wet plants were on or about the property and had just been taken from elsewhere, the report said.

Mr. Bousquet said he owned the drugs, the report said.

Police said Mr. Bousquet carved an obscenity about "the system" into paint in his holding cell. The phrase is also tattooed on Mr. Bousquet's back.

Also carved into the paint were similar words about the Drug Enforcement Administration, as well as "Josh loves weed" and "grow it," the police report said. There were also carvings of hash marks and a marijuana leaf.

Sturbridge

Minivan hits school bus stopped in Sturbridge

STURBRIDGE - A minivan rear-ended a school bus on Cedar Drive just before 8:30 yesterday morning.

The minivan's driver, Suellen Dumas, of 282 Cedar St., was distracted by construction work in the area when she hit the school bus, which had stopped, according to police. Town employees were preparing the road for paving.

Barbara A. Hart, of 100 Crestwood Road, Brimfield, was the bus driver, and there were two children on board, police said. No one was injured in the crash. An airbag in the minivan deployed.

The children, who were on their way to a summer program, were transferred to another bus.

The Tantasqua Regional School District owns the bus.

The accident is under investigation by Sturbridge police.

Sturbridge

Fund set for family of 2-year-old victim

STURBRIDGE - A fund has been established to help support the family of a 2-year-old who was accidentally struck and killed by a minivan driven by his mother in the driveway of their home.

Eli J. Hoy died Tuesday morning on Cooper Road. He was the son of Jordan D. and Pamela S. Hoy of Sturbridge. Eli also leaves three brothers, Joshua, Luke and Nathan; his paternal grandmother; maternal grandparents; uncles; aunts; and 12 cousins.

The boy apparently darted into the path of the minivan being backed up by his mother, who was unaware the boy was there. Emergency medical technicians arrived about 8:30 a.m. The boy was pronounced dead at the home. The Worcester district attorney's office said the accident is still under investigation.

"The recent tragic accident that resulted in the loss of the family's 2-year-old son is devastating," Matthew S. Sosik, CEO and president of Hometown Bank, said. "In spite of being only 2 years old, young Eli touched the lives of so very many people. The fund will support this wonderful family in their time of need and give them an opportunity to recognize the short, but full life of their son Eli."

Donations should be made payable to the Hoy Family Fund, c/o Hometown Bank, 331 Main Street, Sturbridge, MA 01566.

Eli's funeral service will be 2 p.m. Sunday in the First Congregational Church, Main Street, Brimfield. Burial will be private. There are no calling hours. The Daniel T. Morrill Funeral Home, 130 Hamilton St., Southbridge, is directing arrangements.

Dudley

Sex charge dismissed against Boston woman

DUDLEY - The case against a Boston woman charged last year with engaging in sexual conduct for a fee in Charlton was dismissed June 30 in Dudley District Court.

Carmen A. Andrews, 26, of 28 Copeland St., will have to pay $300 in court costs.

Ms. Andrews was one of six people either charged or summoned to the court. On March 25, 2008, Charlton police did a sex sting at an undisclosed house after one of the other suspects allegedly placed an ad online at craigslist.org offering sex for money.

West Boylston

Trooper hurt in accident released from hospital

WEST BOYLSTON - A state police trooper who was seriously injured Tuesday when his cruiser was struck from behind on Interstate 190 northbound was released from the hospital yesterday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

State police said Trooper David Matte was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus in Worcester with serious, but not life-threatening injuries.

The driver of the 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier that hit the cruiser, Sandra J. Konkle, 46, of West Boylston, was seriously injured and also was taken to UMass, state police said. She was listed in fair condition yesterday, according to a nursing supervisor.

State police Lt. Eric Anderson said the trooper was working a construction detail about 2 p.m. when his cruiser was hit from behind. The cruiser then struck the trooper, who was standing nearby.

Ms. Konkle left her vehicle, falling onto the roadway, before it struck the cruiser, state police said. State police are investigating how Ms. Konkle came to leave her vehicle before it struck the cruiser.

State police said Ms. Konkle was going north on Interstate 190 when her car traveled into the construction zone on the left side of the highway. The crash remains under investigation.

Worcester

Restaurant Week offers 3-course meal for $20

WORCESTER - Restaurant Week is coming to Worcester for the first time from Aug. 3 through Aug. 14, and the 45 participating restaurants are counting on hungry crowds to dine with them for an affordable price during the dog days of summer.

Throughout the "Worcesterlicious" event, participating restaurants in Worcester and surrounding towns will offer a three-course meal for $20.09.

"I participated in Boston's Restaurant Week, and to have it in our own backyard in Worcester is very exciting," said event sponsor and Co-chairman Kathryn E. Krock, owner of KJ Baaron's Fine Wine & Spirits on Summer Street.

The event is intended to give an economic boost to restaurants that may be struggling during the usually slow summer months, but Saade Saade, proprietor of Morocco Restaurant on Shrewsbury Street, doesn't think the financial benefit will be immediate.

"You lose some (money), but it's a form of advertisement," he said.

For a list of participating restaurants, visit www.worcesterrestaurantweek.com.

Orange

Police nab man on assault charge

ORANGE - A 19-year-old local man may have managed to elude authorities on July 2, but his luck ran out around midnight Tuesday.

State police arrested Christopher Clayton, of 158 W. Main St., Apt. 1, about midnight in Orange on a warrant issued out of Orange District Court charging him with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. The charge stems from a June 8 alleged assault in Athol.

Mr. Clayton eluded state police in his vehicle and then on foot July 2 in Templeton, according to authorities.

Mr. Clayton was being held in the Athol state police barracks until his arraignment Tuesday. He was scheduled to be arraigned on additional charges, including refusal to stop for a police officer, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, refusing to identify himself to police, and trespassing.

Southbridge

Moore credited with saving program

SOUTHBRIDGE - Police Chief Daniel R. Charette said the summer Cops and Kids program began Tuesday because of the quick action of state Sen. Richard T. Moore, D-Uxbridge, who was able to extend a fiscal 2009 grant into the new fiscal year, which began last week.

The chief put the program on hold last week because of uncertainty over funding.

"It was all due to (Mr. Moore's) hard work that this was done so quickly and he got it all set for us," the chief said. Police saved about $32,000 of a $75,000 Beyond the Bell grant from the state Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for summer programming.

More than 100 youths signed up for the program, which offers, among other things, sports, bus trips to Six Flags in Agawam, and breakfast and lunch through Project Bread.
COPYRIGHT 2009 Worcester Telegram & Gazette
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:LOCAL NEWS
Publication:Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, MA)
Date:Jul 9, 2009
Words:1822
Previous Article:Heralded condos up for auction.
Next Article:Tackling the evidence; Worcester police chemist hones her skills.


Related Articles
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.
From the Region.
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.
FROM THE REGION.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2015 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters