FILMS OF THE DAY; Saturday TV.COOL RUNNINGS ****
in full British Broadcasting Corp.
Publicly financed broadcasting system in Britain. A private company at its founding in 1922, it was replaced by a public corporation under royal charter in 1927. 1 3pm
A disqualified dis·qual·i·fy
tr.v. dis·qual·i·fied, dis·qual·i·fy·ing, dis·qual·i·fies
a. To render unqualified or unfit.
b. To declare unqualified or ineligible.
2. summer Olympics sprinter cajoles three of his pals into joining him in his plan to compete in a different discipline - the bobsleigh - in the 1988 Winter Olympics after he learns that a successful coach lives nearby. This fact-based comedy spotlights the irrepressible John Candy John Franklin Candy (October 31, 1950 – March 4, 1994) was a Canadian comedian and actor. Candy rose to fame as a member of the Toronto, Canada branch of The Second City, often playing lovable losers and characters with bad luck but big hearts. as the coach tasked with turning these misfits into a winning team.
The fishy fish·y
adj. fish·i·er, fish·i·est
1. Resembling or suggestive of fish, as in taste or odor.
2. Cold or expressionless: a fishy stare.
3. tale of a mermaid who falls for a New Yorker she rescues from drowning. She transforms herself into full human form and decides to keep her watery nature a secret from him - but an obsessive scientist suspects the truth and sets out to expose her. Romantic comedy, with Darryl Hannah and Tom Hanks.
NEVER BACK DOWN ***
SKY MOVIES PREMIERE 6pm
A teenage rebel rocks up in a new town and joins a fight club - but suffers beatings from a bully. A martial arts expert tutors him in combining different fighting styles, and he trains for one final no-holds-barred showdown with his nemesis. Drama, starring Sean Faris, Djimon Hounsou and Amber Heard.
DEATH RACE ***
SKY MOVIES PREMIERE 10pm
Easy-on-the-eye rough-guy Jason Statham stars as a man framed for his wife's murder and sent to a tough prison facility which hosts the TV broadcast Death Race. He finds himself plunged into a high octane customized car race - to the death - when vicious prison warden Joan Allen tricks him into competing after a popular driver is killed, claiming he'll be released if he wins. Natalie Martinez, above, co-stars.
JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK ***
The foul-mouthed New Yorker and his silent sidekick find out that Tinseltown bigwigs are making a movie based on them, so they head for the Hollywood hills to try and salvage their reputation before the film is finished - but they fall foul of a gang of female jewel thieves along the way. Kevin Smith writes, directs and stars as Bob, with Jason Mewes as the mouthy mouth·y
adj. mouth·i·er, mouth·i·est
1. Annoyingly talkative.
2. Given to ranting or bombast.
mouth main man Jay.
CAR TROUBLE... Death Race FIGHT CLUB... Never Back Down