EPA awards $2m grants in N.H.The Environmental Protection Agency Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), independent agency of the U.S. government, with headquarters in Washington, D.C. It was established in 1970 to reduce and control air and water pollution, noise pollution, and radiation and to ensure the safe handling and has awarded $2 million in brownfields grants to six New Hampshire New Hampshire, one of the New England states of the NE United States. It is bordered by Massachusetts (S), Vermont, with the Connecticut R. forming the boundary (W), the Canadian province of Quebec (NW), and Maine and a short strip of the Atlantic Ocean (E). communities and agencies, which are planning to use the money to assess and address contaminated contaminated,
v 1. made radioactive by the addition of small quantities of radioactive material.
2. made contaminated by adding infective or radiographic materials.
3. an infective surface or object. parcels of land for redevelopment.
Grants of $200,000 have been awarded to:
* The Nashua Regional Planning regional planning: see city planning. Commission, which will assess known and potential petroleum contaminated brownfields in the 12 regions it represents, focusing on urbanized areas, schools and those that affect drinking water drinking water
supply of water available to animals for drinking supplied via nipples, in troughs, dams, ponds and larger natural water sources; an insufficient supply leads to dehydration; it can be the source of infection, e.g. leptospirosis, salmonellosis, or of poisoning, e.g. .
* The city of Nashua, which will perform Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments and clean-up of the former Nashua Manufacturing boiler and coal house on Pine Street Extension. It also will transport and dispose of impacted soil.
* The town of Hillsborough, which will conduct environmental site assessment and clean up of the 2.6 acres surrounding Woods Woolen wool·en also wool·len
1. Made or consisting of wool.
2. Of or relating to the production or marketing of woolen goods.
Fabric or clothing made from wool. Often used in the plural. Mills on West Mill Street.
* The Rockingham Planning Commission, which will prepare an inventory of potential brownfields sites and conduct up to five Phase I environmental site assessments and necessary Phase II assessments.
* The Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission, which will review and prioritize a list of known brownfields sites and perform up to 12 Phase I and three Phase II environmental site assessments on communities in its district.
* The North Country Council, which will receive two $200,000 grants to inventory and rank sites for hazardous substances and petroleum and perform up to between eight and ten Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments for both.
* The Southwest Region Planning Commission also received two $200,000 grants and will identify and characterize brownfields within their district and perform up to five Phase I and four Phase II environmental site assessments.