Data management.2Web Technologies has released XL2Web, a new software tool that converts Microsoft Excel (tool) Microsoft Excel - A spreadsheet program from Microsoft, part of their Microsoft Office suite of productivity tools for Microsoft Windows and Macintosh. Excel is probably the most widely used spreadsheet in the world.
Latest version: Excel 97, as of 1997-01-14. spreadsheets and models into interactive Web applications and Web services (1) Loosely, any online service delivered over the Web. Such usage appears in articles from non-technical sources, but not in IT-oriented publications, because definition #2 below describes the correct use of the term. in minutes without the need for programming. The New York New York, state, United States
New York, Middle Atlantic state of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean (E), New Jersey and Pennsylvania (S), Lakes Erie and Ontario and the Canadian province of City-based company offers "a fast, secure, version-controlled means of Web-enabling and distributing interactive spreadsheet models for financial analysts, researchers, risk managers, market makers, financial planners, insurance agents and others involved in complex analytics," it said in an announcement.
Potential applications include development of interactive trading models, financial statements, securities and derivatives pricing personnel, and personalized client portfolio tools, all enabling end users to investigate various "what-if" scenarios. The software can also be used to permit fast development of online calculators and other interactive Web content, using Excel as the authoring tool.
The XL2Web platform supports complex, multi-page Web applications with virtually all Excel functions, including multiple worksheets and workbooks, charts, images, cell formatting, data tables, data validation In computer science, data validation is the process of ensuring that a program operates on clean, correct and useful data. It uses routines, often called validation rules, that check for correctness or meaningfulness of data that are input to the system. , GoalSeeks and support for proprietary and third-party function libraries. End users can access any XL2Web-enabled model from a Web browser The program that serves as your front end to the Web on the Internet. In order to view a site, you type its address (URL) into the browser's Location field; for example, www.computerlanguage.com, and the home page of that site is downloaded to you. without browser plug-ins or the need to install Excel, making it usable remotely or with Blackberrys and other specialized devices.
XL2Web's ability to rapidly convert spreadsheet assets into Web-based applications and Web services without IT programming eliminates the costs and duplication of effort involved in recoding Noun 1. recoding - converting from one code to another
coding, steganography, cryptography, secret writing - act of writing in code or cipher a spreadsheet for Web use. The software also overcomes the limitations of the Excel platform by enabling:
* Easy spreadsheet distribution, allowing models and updates to be disseminated to any number of end users via URL URL
in full Uniform Resource Locator
Address of a resource on the Internet. The resource can be any type of file stored on a server, such as a Web page, a text file, a graphics file, or an application program. instead of emailing the files or publishing them in flat form.
* Protection of intellectual property, because financial formulas and other proprietary information that can be easily accessed in the raw Excel file remain locked behind the firewall.
* Version control, preventing end users from using an old version of a given model, because deployment is now centrally controlled and server-based.
* Scalability for highly complex calculations and scenario analyses, freeing spreadsheets from the desktop for use in more powerful server environments such as Linux and Unix.
* Integration with existing Web pages or enterprise applications such as analytics libraries, business data and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) An integrated information system that serves all departments within an enterprise. Evolving out of the manufacturing industry, ERP implies the use of packaged software rather than proprietary software written by or for one customer. applications, without recoding.
XL2Web is available under a licensed model for large organizations that require deep integration with proprietary software, and in two hosted models for firms with basic and more advanced needs. Hosted pricing begins at $100 per month. Corporate license pricing is based on the number of XL2Web publishers and XL2Web JEngines deployed.