Contractor's joy at new pounds 40m offices' 'excellent' energy efficiency rating.EIC EIC Editor-In-Chief
EIC Euro Info Centre (DIN)
EIC Earned Income Credit
EIC Excellence in Cities (UK)
EIC Enterprise Interaction Center (Interactive Intelligence) Ltd is celebrating after helping one of Birmingham's newest office blocks achieve an excellent sustainability rating.
The mechanical and electrical contractor installed motion and daylight sensitive lighting throughout the landmark Calthorpe House in Edgbaston as part of a pounds 1.7m contract.
A team of 20 is currently installing electrical wiring and lighting for each of the seven floors of the 105,600 sq ft scheme, which has been hailed as a benchmark for future development across the region.
Designed to exacting standards by consulting engineers Hoare Lea Hoare Lea is a professional services firm specializing in mechanical, electrical and environmental engineering for construction. Hoare Lea was founded in 1862 by Edwin Hoare and Henry Lea who designed the first air conditioning system at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast. , main contractor BAM Bam (bäm), town (1996 pop. 70,100), Kerman prov., SE Iran, on the intermittent Bam River. Located on the western edge of the Dasht-e Lut, Bam is a trade center in a henna-growing region. Dates and other fruits are also grown; camels are raised. Construction ensured all subcontractors completed the project to BREEAM BREEAM Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (Building Research Establishment's Environmental Assessment Method) "excellent" targets across the board.
Ian Lyall, joint managing director of EIC, said: "Sustainability, rightly, is becoming an ever more important consideration for contractors. The team has incorporated energy saving systems into the design of the electrical installation to help the building to meet BREEAM targets and subsequently be rated as 'excellent'.
We are delighted to have been involved in this innovative vision from
Calthorpe Estates and Marshgate Developments Ltd which is proving to be such a success. I believe the example set here should be followed throughout the industry." The prestigious new pounds 40 million development is a Grade A commercial scheme offering 105,600 sq ft of prime, sustainable office accommodation situated 500m from Five Ways railway station and with easy access to Birmingham City Centre and the Midlands motorway network.
Designed with the environment and energy saving in mind, Calthorpe House is also set to outperform the current statutory requirements for carbon emissions by 27 per cent.
Significant energy savings will be achieved by the use of motion and daylight sensors on each light fitting. Office, toilet and stairwell stair·well
A vertical shaft around which a staircase has been built.
a vertical shaft in a building that contains a staircase
Noun 1. lights will turn off when the room is empty and, in the office, dim where there is sufficient ambient lighting from other sources, either through the window or from other luminaires.
In addition, car park lighting is independently controlled to allow 20 per cent to remain on at all times for safety, with the remaining 80 per cent activated via presence detection..