CollabNet(R) Releases SourceForge(R) Enterprise Edition 4.4.Product Enhancements Further Strengthen Distributed Development This article
* It does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by citing reliable sources.
* Very few or no other articles link to this one. Capabilities and Reinforce CollabNet's Continued Commitment to SourceForge Customers has multiple issues:
BRISBANE, Calif. -- CollabNet, the primary sponsor of the Subversion sub·ver·sion
a. The act or an instance of subverting.
b. The condition of being subverted.
2. Obsolete A cause of overthrow or ruin. [TM] project and leading provider of collaborative software This is a list of collaborative software (or list of groupware) applications. Wiki software is on a list of wiki software. Open source or free software
The following are open source or free software applications. development solutions, today announced the immediate availability of SourceForge Enterprise Edition 4.4. New features in this release include significant enhancements to Tracker, new project categorization capabilities and improved integration to a wide range of software configuration management (SCM (1) (Software Configuration Management, Source Code Management) See configuration management.
(2) See supply chain management. ) tools, including support for Subversion multi-site. This release further extends the platform's open architecture, enabling distributed development organizations to leverage web services (1) Loosely, any online service delivered over the Web. Such usage appears in articles from non-technical sources, but not in IT-oriented publications, because definition #2 below describes the correct use of the term. to integrate the SourceForge framework into their existing development environment.
SourceForge Enterprise Edition 4.4 is the first update to the development platform since CollabNet acquired SourceForge's software business on April 24, 2007. The combined business now supports more than 350 enterprise customers with over 1.2 million developers who use CollabNet development tools every day, in dozens of countries around the globe.
"Software is ubiquitous in today's world; increasingly software is becoming one of the most critical differentiating items that determine the commercial success of a product, from hi-tech systems to cell phones and consumer electronics, from banking to automotive and medical devices," said Bill Portelli, CEO (1) (Chief Executive Officer) The highest individual in command of an organization. Typically the president of the company, the CEO reports to the Chairman of the Board. of CollabNet. "To meet the demand for high quality software, organizations increasingly rely on collaborative development techniques where software engineers, technology partners and customers collaborate as one team on one or several projects from anywhere in the world. CollabNet is the recognized pioneer and leader in globally distributed development. The SourceForge development platform, its open architecture and new capabilities in version 4.4 raise the bar for organizations who want to leverage their existing IT investments by utilizing SOAP web services to optimize development tools and processes and to accelerate development efficiency on a global-scale, with minimal disruption."
SourceForge Enterprise Edition's integrated suite of development tools provide for greater control over critical project tasks and assets by seamlessly integrating disparate development IP and tools onto a common development platform, while automatically keeping team members apprised of critical deadlines and task assignments. SourceForge enables associations between team communications and related documents, digital assets, issues, and activities. This unified approach to development projects helps distributed teams reduce miscommunication mis·com·mu·ni·ca·tion
1. Lack of clear or adequate communication.
2. An unclear or inadequate communication. , improve accuracy, and speed critical project decisions.
"A unique attribute of SourceForge, and a key differentiator from our customers' perspective, is the robustness and openness of the SourceForge architecture," said Richard Murray Richard Murray is the chairman Charlton Athletic Football Club. He is highly respected by most of the Charlton supporters and it is agreed that he has been a key to the football club's relative success over the last decade. , CollabNet's vice president of engineering. "A growing number of development organizations are choosing SourceForge as their core software development platform because of its adaptability and broad integration capabilities. Unlike conventional development tools, SourceForge is built to tie together and optimize heterogeneous development systems across globally distributed teams without the need to replace existing tools or development methodologies."
Enhancements in SourceForge 4.4 are designed to help distributed teams further improve collaboration and communication to deliver higher-quality software while accelerating development productivity of distributed teams. New capabilities include:
* Tracker enhancements:
-- Improved project management and team coordination and more flexible support for Requirements Management -- from agile to waterfall methodologies. Developers can break down artifacts into unlimited parent-child relationships, create cross-project tracker dependencies, easily identify and manage blocking issues and change the field order in the artifact listing. -- Tracker administrators can now use new flex fields to add multiple user selections to Tracker artifacts and select dates from a pop-up calendar view to simplify the management of issues, defects, requests and more. -- Users now have the ability to more quickly identify and manage data of interest in personalized views using saved filters, saved searches and customizable columns. Also SourceForge Enterprise Edition utilizes an AJAX-based solution to provide simple field ordering for further user-specific customization.
* Project categorization: Improved browsing capabilities to search through a project's taxonomy taxonomy: see classification.
In biology, the classification of organisms into a hierarchy of groupings, from the general to the particular, that reflect evolutionary and usually morphological relationships: kingdom, phylum, class, order, and quickly find associated projects and downloads, resulting in increased visibility into development projects, its associated resources and assets. It also improves the reusability The ability to use all or the greater part of the same programming code or system design in another application.
reusability - reuse of development assets and cross-team collaboration.
* Software configuration management: SourceForge Enterprise Edition also offers extended support and integration of a wide range of SCM tools, including IBM (International Business Machines Corporation, Armonk, NY, www.ibm.com) The world's largest computer company. IBM's product lines include the S/390 mainframes (zSeries), AS/400 midrange business systems (iSeries), RS/6000 workstations and servers (pSeries), Intel-based servers (xSeries) ([R]) Rational ClearCase([R]) to consolidate disparate SCM data. Additionally, several newly added security enhancements between SourceForge Enterprise Edition and SCM servers help improve performance and security via SSL-based encrypted en·crypt
tr.v. en·crypt·ed, en·crypt·ing, en·crypts
1. To put into code or cipher.
2. Computer Science server communication and CVS (1) (Concurrent Versions System) A version control system for Unix that was initially developed as a series of shell scripts in the mid-1980s. CVS maintains the changes between one source code version and another and stores all the changes in one file. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) A protocol used to access a directory listing. LDAP support is implemented in Web browsers and e-mail programs, which can query an LDAP-compliant directory. authentication (1) Verifying the integrity of a transmitted message. See message integrity, e-mail authentication and MAC.
(2) Verifying the identity of a user logging into a network. .
* Support for Subversion multi-site: With Subversion multi-site replication support, globally distributed development teams can synchronize See synchronization. projects in real time regardless of location and network speed. This allows developers in other locations to collaborate on the same source code as if they were local, achieving local commit and access times while maintaining full security and source code coherency co·her·en·cy
n. pl. co·her·en·cies
Noun 1. coherency - the state of cohering or sticking together
coherence, cohesion, cohesiveness .
* Customization: Site administrators can modify the look and feel of the application and implement feature customizations using Velocity templates.
"Our R&D investment exemplifies our commitment to the SourceForge Enterprise Edition platform and to promoting the benefits of collaboration and distributed software development to our customers and independent developer communities," said Bill Portelli, CEO of CollabNet. "With the successful acquisition and integration of SourceForge's software business completed, we're now focused on accelerating growth and providing the highest level of support our customers have come to expect from CollabNet."
For more information about SourceForge Enterprise Edition 4.4, you can download a product overview white paper at http://www.collab.net/news/library/ or view a recorded demo of SourceForge Enterprise Edition 4.4 "What's new in SFEE SFEE Steady Flow Energy Equation 4.4" at http://www.collab.net/sfee_demo.
CollabNet acquired SourceForge's software business earlier this year, bringing the two leading collaborative software development solutions for distributed teams under the same roof. The combined entity supports more than 350 enterprise customers with over 1.2 million users in dozens of countries worldwide. SourceForge Enterprise Edition, along with CollabNet's entire product portfolio - CollabNet Enterprise Edition, CollabNet CUBiT cu·bit
An ancient unit of linear measure, originally equal to the length of the forearm from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow, or about 17 to 22 inches (43 to 56 centimeters). (TM), and CollabNet Subversion - continues to be supported and enhanced over time. SourceForge customers around the world now benefit from CollabNet's extensive, global support infrastructure, including around the clock support, as well as accelerated innovation due to an increased research and development staff.
With 1.2 million users, CollabNet is the most widely used platform for distributed software development and collaborative lifecycle management. Now combined with SourceForge Enterprise Edition, the company is transforming the way in which software is being developed by enabling companies to leverage global development talents and resources to deliver better products, innovate in·no·vate
v. in·no·vat·ed, in·no·vat·ing, in·no·vates
To begin or introduce (something new) for or as if for the first time.
To begin or introduce something new. faster and reduce development infrastructure costs by 50%.
CollabNet is the primary sponsor of Subversion, a core component in CollabNet's portfolio of software development products: CollabNet Subversion and CollabNet Enterprise Subversion enable enterprises to safely deploy Subversion by providing governance, advanced security and effective user and project administration around Subversion. CollabNet Enterprise Edition and SourceForge Enterprise Edition deliver an integrated platform for collaborative application lifecycle management The administration and control of an application from inception to its demise. It embraces requirements management, system design, software development and configuration management and implies an integrated set of tools for developing and controlling the project. that enables project members to work as one team throughout the project lifecycle regardless of their location. CollabNet's CUBiT provides distributed development organizations with a ground-breaking virtualization An umbrella term for enhancing a computer's ability to do work. Following are the ways virtualization is used.
Partitioning the computer's memory into separate and isolated "virtual machines" simulates multiple machines within one physical computer. solution to centrally and dynamically provision build and test environments.
openCollabNet([R]) (www.open.collab.net) is an online extension to CollabNet; this Web 2.0 community dedicated to developers using Subversion and CollabNet offers discussion forums, in-depth technical information, product extensions, and free downloads of CollabNet's and partners' products.
More than 350 industry leading companies use CollabNet's solutions today, including Reuters, Philips Medical Systems, Capgemini, and Barclays Global Investors Barclays Global Investors is a subsidiary of British-based Barclays Bank which is in the investment management industry. It is the largest corporate money manager in the world, with over £936 billion (US$1.77 trillion) under management as of March 2006. among others. Visit CollabNet at http://www.collab.net or get more information about Subversion at http://www.collab.net/subversion.
(c) 2007 CollabNet.
CollabNet, openCollabNet, SourceForge and CUBiT are trademarks of CollabNet, Inc. or its licensors. All other company and product names are trademarks of their respective owners.