Cognos.Cognos, a leading provider of business intelligence (BI) software, has introduced Cognos 8 BI, which the company says is a first-of-its-kind solution that eliminates the need for "suites" by placing a single BI product on a single, Web-based service-oriented architecture See SOA. .
Cognos representatives said that the new product had been beta-tested at 100 companies and further refined following a users' conference in June. They say the product fully supports a variety of standard platforms--Unix, Windows and Linux.
Among the new features, Cognos says, the new release offers users:
* more flexible portal creation
* enhanced self-service reporting
* dimensional reporting
* dynamic dashboards
* deep, comparative analysis
* actionable Giving sufficient legal grounds for a lawsuit; giving rise to a Cause of Action.
An act, event, or occurrence is said to be actionable when there are legal grounds for basing a lawsuit on it. scorecards
* advanced event management
Unlike competitors' offerings, Cognos says, Cognos 8 BI eliminates the need for multiple metadata (1) (meta-data) Data that describes other data. The term may refer to detailed compilations such as data dictionaries and repositories that provide a substantial amount of information about each data element. layers and different query engines. The single query and the single metadata layers provide for more consistent results, it adds.
The product offers enhanced ability to create individualized in·di·vid·u·al·ize
tr.v. in·di·vid·u·al·ized, in·di·vid·u·al·iz·ing, in·di·vid·u·al·iz·es
1. To give individuality to.
2. To consider or treat individually; particularize.
3. portals, or "portlets," that provide for alerts, metrics metrics Managed care A popular term for standards by which the quality of a product, service, or outcome of a particular form of Pt management is evaluated. See TQM. , images and other features, all with improved capability to search and navigate (1) "Surfing the Web." To move from page to page on the Web.
(2) To move through the menu structure in a software application. . This self-service ability helps hold down any IT department involvement and related costs, Cognos says.
Enhanced self-service reporting features include access to dimensional as well as relational data, templates and color schemes, style formatting and multiple summary calculations in footers.
As a full Internet-based tool, Cognos 8 has "zero footprint"--it requires no software installation of any kind, and can be accessed at any time through an individual's standard browser browser
Software that allows a computer user to find and view information on the Internet. The first text-based browser for the World Wide Web became available in 1991; Web use expanded rapidly after the release in 1993 of a browser called Mosaic, which used .
The product is aimed at Global 3500 companies, Cognos representatives say. At a company with about 200 users--ranging from administrators to "consumers"--a standard contract would cost about $220,000 for a year, including support and maintenance.