Clean claims are key to timely reimbursement, but be vigilant. (Practice Management Clinic).
Payment made to someone for out-of-pocket expenses has incurred. is at least partially linked to your ability, or the ability of your billing service, to properly file and follow up on claim submissions. This installment of PRACTICE MANAGEMENT CLINIC focuses on reducing errors in this process.
Are your claims clean?
Filing clean claims should be a priority for everyone involved in the reimbursement process. There are myriad Myriad is a classical Greek name for the number 104 = 10 000. In modern English the word refers to an unspecified large quantity.
The term myriad is a progression in the commonly used system of describing numbers using tens and hundreds. reasons claims are determined to be unclean. Here are nine common claims-data errors:
* Missing or invalid Null; void; without force or effect; lacking in authority.
For example, a will that has not been properly witnessed is invalid and unenforceable.
INVALID. In a physical sense, it is that which is wanting force; in a figurative sense, it signifies that which has no effect. patient identification number or other patient information (sex, date of birth, etc.)
* Missing or invalid subscriber information (e.g., Social Security number)
* Lack of authorization The right or permission to use a system resource; the process of granting access. See access control. or referral number
* Failure to check the assignment box
* Invalid dates of service
* Missing or invalid modifiers (updated yearly)
* Missing or invalid provider information
* Incorrect place of service (e.g., hospital vs office)
* Incorrect balance due
A clean claim has many definitions. In Oklahoma, for example, a law (formerly Senate Bill 192) that became effective on Nov. 1 defines a clean claim as one that has no defect or impropriety, including a lack of any required substantiating sub·stan·ti·ate
tr.v. sub·stan·ti·at·ed, sub·stan·ti·at·ing, sub·stan·ti·ates
1. To support with proof or evidence; verify: substantiate an accusation. See Synonyms at confirm. documentation, and an absence of any particular circumstance Circumstance or circumstances can refer to:
v. gov·erned, gov·ern·ing, gov·erns
1. To make and administer the public policy and affairs of; exercise sovereign authority in.
2. third-party payments. It requires health plans regulated by the state's department of health to either pay or deny a claim or a portion of a claim within 45 calendar days. If the claim is judged to be unclean, the carrier must notify the person submitting the claim--in writing within 30 calendar days--which portion of the claim is causing the delay in processing. Overdue OVERDUE. A bill, note, bond or other contract, for the payment of money at a particular day, when not paid upon the day, is overdue.
2. The indorsement of a note or bill overdue, is equivalent to drawing a new bill payable at sight. 2 Conn. 419; 18 Pick. payments for clean claims will bear a simple interest at 10% annually.
What is our responsibility as providers? Claims should be submitted in a timely manner--that is, within 1 or 2 days of service. All claims should undergo carrier-specific edits before they are sent to carriers. Electronic claim submissions are strongly recommended over paper claim submissions for many reasons, but the best reason is that it is extremely difficult to prove that a paper claim was ever submitted to or received by a carrier.
In addition to the regular accounts-receivable monitoring your practice management software allows, it is imperative that your software--or your billing service's software--provides the technology to monitor clean claims that are not processed in a timely fashion. After all, what good is clean-claims legislation if no one ensures that carriers are complying with the statute? Check with your local medical society to determine whether clean-claims legislation exists in your state. And be sure to ascertain whether your practice management software provides the technology to notify you if your claims are not adjudicated in 17 to 30 (electronic) or 45 to 60 (paper) days. If it doesn't, it's time It's Time was a successful political campaign run by the Australian Labor Party (ALP) under Gough Whitlam at the 1972 election in Australia. Campaigning on the perceived need for change after 23 years of conservative (Liberal Party of Australia) government, Labor put forward a to investigate better management systems.