Printer Friendly
The Free Library
22,710,190 articles and books

Child support checks give way to debit cards in Missouri.



JEFFERSON CITY Jefferson City, city (1990 pop. 35,481), state capital and seat of Cole co., central Mo., on the south bank of the Missouri River, near the mouth of the Osage; inc. 1825. , Mo. -- The child support check is giving way to payments delivered directly to debit cards debit card, card that allows the cost of goods or services that are purchased to be deducted directly from the purchaser's checking account. They can also be used at automated teller machines for withdrawing cash from the user's checking account.  in Missouri Missouri, state, United States
Missouri (mĭzr`ē, –ə), one of the midwestern states of the United States.
.

The new debit cards began going out in August to residents in Cole County Cole County may refer to:
  • Cole County, Missouri
  • Cole County, Dakota, the original name of Union County, South Dakota
, and the switch from paper checks should be complete statewide by November, concluding with St. Louis.

Officials with Missouri's Family Support Division believe the new SecuritE Card cards will save the state about $2 million under a recently renewed contract with Carrollton, Ga.-based Systems and Methods Inc.

About 180,000 people received paper child support checks during the fiscal year that ended June 30. That includes about 70 percent of the payments; the other 30 percent were made by direct bank deposit, an option that will remain available.

The debit cards can be used to withdraw cash at ATMs or to purchase items at businesses that accept MasterCard, but cannot be used to directly deposit money into a bank, according to according to
prep.
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.

2. In keeping with: according to instructions.

3.
 officials of the Family Support Division.
COPYRIGHT 2006 American Public Human Services Association
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 Reader Opinion

Title:

Comment:



 

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:state and local news
Publication:Policy & Practice
Article Type:Brief article
Geographic Code:1U4MO
Date:Sep 1, 2006
Words:161
Previous Article:Iowa pool to lower Medicaid drug costs.
Next Article:New Iowa law for youth aging out of foster care seen as model for other states.
Topics:



Related Articles
Fighting debit card fraud: one man's persistence pays off.
Statements to Congress.
Enjoy less administration, save money, and keep your staff happy.
A debit card for charitable giving.
U.S. consumers and electronic banking, 1995-2003.
DuPont donates Tyvek for Katrina victims.
Michigan disburses Child Support payments electronically.
Child support payments in mid-Michigan counties and Texas going electronic.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2014 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters