Certified Metrication Specialist (CMS) program.
The USMA USMA United States Military Academy
USMA United States Martial Arts Association
USMA U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
USMA United States Maritime Administration CMS (1) See content management system and color management system.
(2) (Conversational Monitor System) Software that provides interactive communications for IBM's VM operating system. Program is designed to provide documentary evidence for individuals who can qualify as metric specialists because of their education and experience in the use of the modernized metric system--known as SI (systeme international d'unites Sys·tème In·ter·na·tion·al d'U·ni·tés
International System of Units. ).
The CMS program is structured to help maintain professional standards in the field of metrication met·ri·ca·tion
Conversion to the metric system of weights and measures; metrification.
Noun 1. metrication - the act of changing from imperial units of measurement to metric units: meters, grams, seconds . With the United States' conversion to SI, companies, schools, agencies, businesses, and other facilities will seek personnel who, in addition to their job skills, are knowledgeable about SI. The USMA CMS Program is designed to give both employers and employees the documented evidence that an individual's qualifications have been carefully screened to verify that he or she has the background and ability to use the SI version of the metric system correctly.
The South Carolina version of the CMS Program encourages each school superintendent in the state to recommend one person from his/her district to be certified. Ideally we want each of the 1,645 schools in the state to employ a certified metric specialist.
Outline for South Carolina Educators--CMS
South Carolina applicants follow these procedures:
1. Obtain information (including a CMS packet) about the CMS Program
2. Fill out application form and include as references
a. Immediate Supervisor
b. School District Superintendent
c. USMA Eastern Director, Don Jordan
3. List courses taught, number of years of teaching experience, and at what levels (elementary, middle, high school, post-secondary).
4. Make arrangements to take CMS Exam (80% is passing score)
a. By appointment, At SCAS/SCJAS Annual Meeting site, at SCSC SCSC State Civil Service Commission
SCSC Schedule Control Systems Criteria
SCSC Software Council of Southern California
SCSC Surface Combat Systems Center (formerly ACSC; Wallops Island, VA)
SCSC Santa Clara Swim Club , or at the SCCTM SCCTM South Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics
SCCTM Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (movie) Annual Meeting
You may schedule your exam at any one of several sites across the state. See address at bottom of page.
5. Checks should be made payable to USMA CMS Program. A discounted fee ($25.00) can be paid at the time of the exam. (Note: Regular fee is $65.00).
CMS Exam results are confidential.
Names of successful candidates will be added to all USMA lists and, for SC educators, names will be published in both the SCJAS Newsletter and the SCAS Newsletter. Names will also be forwarded to the State Department of Education, the Commission on Higher Education Commission on Higher Education can refer to
Note: The CMS/CAMS Certification Program is an educational project that has the support of the State Department of Education and the following organizations.
SCSC--South Carolina Science Council
SCJAS--South Carolina Junior Academy of Science
SCCTM--South Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics
SCAS--South Carolina Academy of Science
USMA--United States Metric Association
For information, to obtain a CMS Exam application, or to schedule an exam, write or call:
Dr. Don Jordan, CMS Program, College of Science and Math, Center for Sci Ed, Sumwalt 323, University of South Carolina
• • , 1212 Green Street, Columbia, SC 29208 Phone: (803) 777-7007 Fax: (803) 777-4396 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org