These cartoons all relate to topics in the news. Study them, then answer these questions about each.
(1.) What is the cartoon's subject?
(2.) What opinion do you think the cartoonist is expressing?
(3.) What makes the cartoon ironic [humorously sarcastic]?
The New Economy
* EACH COUNTRY DOES WHAT IT'S BEST AT
I'D LIKE TO TAKE OUT A THIRD MORTGAGE ON MY HOUSE SO I CAN BUY MORE STUFF.
I'LL HAVE TO ASK CHINA OR INDIA FOR THE MONEY
It ws a drk nd strmy nite.
WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE, I WALK 6 MILES THROUGH THE SNOW TO GET TO SCHOOL ...
YOU HAD SNOW?!
TOM TOLES * THE WASHINGTON POST * UNIVERSAL CLICK
BOB GORRELL * CREATORS.COM * GORRELLART.COM
WALT HANDELSMAN * TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES
RELATED ARTICLE: Words to Know
We'll introduce you to 102 key Social Studies terms this year. These six are in this issue. Fill in the letter that has the closest meaning.
[B] political viewpoint
[C] social class in India
[A] to leave one country for another
[B] purchase stock
[C] stay put
[D]travel in first class
[B] government worker
[C] one who starts a business
[D] person who seeks a job in the armed forces
[A] bitter-cold conditions
[B] calm seas
[C] wind that brings heavy rain
[D] wind that causes drought
[C] record album
[D] share of a business
[B] low-ranking official
[C] member of the lowest social class in India
[D] passenger in steerage
Share your views about JS. E-mail the editors at email@example.com.
THE BACK PAGE, P. 24 CARTOON CORNER
Cartoon A: 1. the comparative economies of China, India, and the U.S.
2. the economies of China and India are based on being productive, while that of the U.S. is based on buying what others make
3. To lend money, the U.S. banker will have to borrow from China and India--developing countries whose economies are thriving. The U.S., a global superpower, spends what it doesn't have.
Cartoon B: 1. the popularity of Twitter
2. Twitter's limited character count dulls the power of communication
3. Snoopy is typing the way tweets are written on a typewriter rather than a computer or Smartphone.
Cartoon C: 1. the warmer-weather trend
2. weather patterns are changing considerably
3. The man thinks the boy is amazed that he had to walk so far to school, but the boy is amazed that there used to be snow.
WORDS TO KNOW
1.C; 2.A; 3.C; 4.C; 5.D; 6.C
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Toles, Tom; Gorrell, Bob; Handelsman, Walt|
|Date:||Apr 2, 2012|
|Previous Article:||Tracking tornadoes: how many "tornado allegs" does the United States have?|
|Next Article:||In India, untouchable no more (pp. 10-15) Lexile score: 1060L.|