Sponsored by the University of Nebraska Medical Center In 1991, a technology transfer office was created known as UNeMed.
In 1997, the UNMC hospital merged with the nearby hospital operated by Clarkson College to become what was later renamed The Nebraska Medical Center. , Center for Continuing Education
To obtain CME CME
See: Chicago Mercantile Exchange
See Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME). credits, complete the test below, following these guidelines:
1. Read each article carefully.
2. Choose the most appropriate response to each of the following questions and record these on the registration form. Unanswered questions are considered incorrect.
3. Send the completed registration form and your payment (check, money order, VISA, MasterCard, American Express) to the Center for Continuing Education, University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC).
4. After your test has been graded, you will receive a receipt, a copy of the correct answers, and a credit statement certifying completion from the UNMC. Questions about the test should be addressed to UNMC Center for Continuing Education (402-559-4152).
Credit: The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Center for Continuing Education is accredited accredited
recognition by an appropriate authority that the performance of a particular institution has satisfied a prestated set of criteria.
cattle herds which have achieved a low level of reactors to, e.g. by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education The Accrediting Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) is the overseeing body for continuing medical education (CME) in the United States. The ACCME sets the standards for the accreditation of all providers of CME activities. (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education continuing medical education See CME. for physicians.
The University of Nebraska Medical Center, Center for Continuing Education designates this educational activity for a maximum of 3 category 1 credits toward the AMA (Automatic Message Accounting) The recording and reporting of telephone calls within a telephone system. It includes the calling and called parties and start and stop times of the call. Physician's Recognition Award. Each physician should claim only those credits that he/she actually spent in the activity.
This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the ACCME Essentials.
1. With which of these statements regarding a larynx contact ulcer would Thompson (Pathology Clinic) disagree?
a. It is a benign lesion.
b. Its diagnosis is usually based solely on histologic findings.
c. It is most common in men.
d. It most often involves the posterior vocal fold.
2. According to a source cited by Song and Shemen, the incidence of permanent recurrent laryngeal nerve recurrent laryngeal nerve
A branch of the vagus nerve that supplies the cardiac, tracheal and esophageal branches and terminates as the inferior laryngeal nerve. injury in thyroid and parathyroid parathyroid /par·a·thy·roid/ (-thi´roid)
1. situated beside the thyroid gland.
2. see under gland.
1. reoperations has been reported to range from:
a. 1 to 10%
b. 2 to 12%
c. 3 to 15%
d. 4 to 20%
3. With which of the following statements regarding injury to the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve superior laryngeal nerve
A branch of the vagus nerve at the inferior ganglion. At the thyroid cartilage, it divides into two branches, the internal, which supplies the mucous membrane of the larynx above the vocal cords; and the external, which during thyroid surgery is false, based on the article by Song and Shemen?
a. It can alter voice quality.
b. It can cause increased aspiration.
c. It occurs at a rate ranging from 5 to 28% of cases.
d. Its treatment is not difficult.
4. According to sources cited by Goudy and Flynn, the malignancy rate of palpable thyroid nodules is:
5. Goudy and Flynn's study data indicate that fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid can only be performed reliably by a pathologist.
True or False
6. Ozbek et al would most likely disagree with which of the following statements?
a. Peritonsillar abscess (PTA) seldom occurs in young, immunocompetent im·mu·no·com·pe·tent
Having the normal bodily capacity to develop an immune response following exposure to an antigen.
b. PTAs form in the area between the palatine tonsil and its capsule.
c. Patients who undergo needle aspiration for PTA can be treated on an outpatient basis.
d. Patients hospitalized for the treatment of PTA have better outcomes than those treated as outpatients.
7. Amyloidosis Amyloidosis Definition
Amyloidosis is a progressive, incurable, metabolic disease characterized by abnormal deposits of protein in one or more organs or body systems. should be the first cause considered in a patient with macroglossia, according to Doria Xavier et al.
True or False
8. Which of the following statements regarding systemic amyloidosis is true, based on the article by Doria Xavier et al?
a. It occurs in conjunction with tuberculosis and other chronic diseases.
b. It is associated with an excellent survival rate.
c. It can only be differentiated from the localized form by rectal biopsy.
d. Ten percent of cases are associated with multiple myeloma.