Burma jails comedian for 45 years.
Rangoon, Nov.22 (ANI): Secret courts in Burma have sentenced a popular comedian and a hip-hop star to hefty jail terms as the military regime of that country continues to crack down on dissidents.
Comedian Zargana, detained de·tain
tr.v. de·tained, de·tain·ing, de·tains
1. To keep from proceeding; delay or retard.
2. To keep in custody or temporary confinement: in June for criticising the government's slow response to Cyclone Nargis in interviews with foreign news groups, was sentenced to 45 years in jail.
A court inside Rangoon's notorious Insein prison Insein Prison (pronounced like "insane") is located in Yangon Division, near Yangon (Rangoon), the capital of Myanmar. It is run by the military junta of Myanmar, the State Peace and Development Council, and used largely to repress political dissidents. convicted Zargana, an outspoken satirist who has already been jailed four times, of violating the Electronics Act.
Rap star Zayar Thaw, 27, a member of the band ACID, was given a six-year sentence for belonging to a political youth group that was formed during the anti-government uprising which the army brutally stamped out last year, reports The Independent.
Over 100 activists, including Buddhist monks, students and members of the opposition National League for Democracy have been convicted in the past two weeks and dispatched to squalid squal·id
1. Dirty and wretched, as from poverty or lack of care. See Synonyms at dirty.
2. Morally repulsive; sordid: "the squalid atmosphere of intrigue, betrayal, and counterbetrayal" jails.
None of this has been reported in the country's state-controlled and heavily censored media.
Amnesty International Amnesty International (AI,) human-rights organization founded in 1961 by Englishman Peter Benenson; it campaigns internationally against the detention of prisoners of conscience, for the fair trial of political prisoners, to abolish the death penalty and torture of says the junta jun·ta
1. A group of military officers ruling a country after seizing power.
2. A council or small legislative body in a government, especially in Central or South America.
3. A junto. holds more than 2,100 political prisoners, a sharp rise from nearly 1,200 in June last year, before the pro-democracy demonstrations.(ANI)
Copyright 2008 Asian News International The Asian News International (ANI) agency provides multimedia news to China and 50 bureaus in India. It covers virtually all of South Asia since its foundation and presently claims, on its official website, to be the leading South Asia-wide news agency. (ANI) - All Rights Reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Asian News International|
|Date:||Dec 3, 2008|
|Previous Article:||Anand Jon's lie detector test indicates his innocence.|
|Next Article:||Avril Lavigne fires manager to resurrect her career.|