Blast kills 44 at Tokyo gaming club.
AT LEAST 44 people were killed when a late-night explosion and fire ripped through a mahjong club in a Tokyo entertainment district.
According to according to
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.
2. In keeping with: according to instructions.
3. reports, the blast occurred at about 1am yesterday (5pm BST (convention) BST - British Summer Time. The name for daylight-saving time in the UK GMT time zone. ) as a parlour employee opened a door.
Tokyo Fire Department spokesman Takashi Yamagishi said 44 people had been killed and three people were in hospital. Their condition was not immediately known.
Japan's Kyodo News Kyodo News (共同通信社 Kyōdō Tsūshinsha) is a nonprofit cooperative news agency based in Minato-ku, Tokyo. It was established in 1945 and it distributes news to almost all newspapers, and radio and television networks in Japan. agency reported that police suspected arson arson, at common law, the malicious and willful burning of the house of another. Originally, it was an offense against the security of habitation rather than against property rights. but officials refused to comment.
Some of the victims jumped from windows - the parlour was located on the third floor of the four-floor building - to avoid the fire. Others scampered to the roof, where they were later saved.
The third and fourth floors of the building were gutted by the fire.
HORROR SCENE: Rescuers remove one of the injured in·jure
tr.v. in·jured, in·jur·ing, in·jures
1. To cause physical harm to; hurt.
2. To cause damage to; impair.
3. from the Tokyo club after yesterday's explosion, which killed 44 people